How Do I Solve a Complex Double Integral Problem?

• Thread starter etf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the equation you start with looks nasty, but you can write out the area as a single integral with the substitution u=x,v=y/x.
etf
Here is my task and attempt for solution:

attempt.gif

As you can see, I tried with substitutions but I have no idea what to do next.
Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you start with looks nasty. Are you sure it's not supposed to be x3+8y3=x2+4y2, or somesuch?
Either way, I can't see the merit of that substitution. Why not just go to the usual polar coordinates? At least you can get as far as writing the area as a single integral. Still tough though.

I'm sure it's how I wrote it... I tried usual polar coordinates too and I got that r=(4*cos(phi)^2+sin(phi)^2)/(cos(phi)^3+8*sin(phi)^3). I don't think that this substitution is more useful than previous. I tried with few other substitutions in order to make region easier but without success. I really have no idea what to do here :(

Last edited:
etf said:
I'm sure it's how I wrote it... I tried usual polar coordinates too and I got that r=(4*cos(phi)^2+sin(phi)^2)/(cos(phi)^3+8*sin(phi)^3). I don't think that this substitution is more useful than previous. I tried with few other substitutions in order to make region easier but without success. I really have no idea what to do here :(
I agree it's still nasty, but at least you can write out the integral for the area now . With your other substitution you'd have to calculate quite a messy Jacobian to get that far. (Did you compute the Jacobian? Maybe it simplifies magically, but I doubt it.)

I've had maybe a better idea. Try u = x, v = y/x.

Wow! This one is key to my problem :)
If I didn't make mistake somewhere, area should be:

povrsina1.gif

Looks good until you get to the last line. A = ∫∫dxdy = ∫∫Jdudv etc. I'm afraid it's going to get quite complicated, but it's all doable.

I computed it using Matlab, I didn't try to do it by hand...
Thanks a lot!

etf said:
I computed it using Matlab, I didn't try to do it by hand...
Thanks a lot!
OK, I see - I misread your double integral as two separate integrals. (That's not the way I write them.)
The simplicity of the answer does suggest we've missed a trick somewhere.

1. What is the "Stuck on a Problem? Here's Help!" resource?

The "Stuck on a Problem? Here's Help!" resource is a guide designed to help individuals who are struggling to find a solution to a problem. It offers tips and strategies for overcoming mental blocks and approaching problems from different angles.

2. How can this resource help me as a scientist?

This resource can help scientists by providing them with tools and techniques for overcoming common roadblocks in their research. It can also help them to think more creatively and critically about their work.

3. Is this resource only for scientists?

No, this resource can be beneficial for anyone who is feeling stuck on a problem and needs help finding a solution. The strategies and tips offered can be applied to various fields and situations.

4. Are there specific steps or methods to follow in this resource?

While there is no one-size-fits-all solution to every problem, this resource does offer general steps and methods for approaching problems. These include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking outside perspectives, and taking breaks to refocus.

5. Can this resource guarantee a solution to my problem?

No, this resource cannot guarantee a solution to every problem. However, it can provide helpful guidance and advice for approaching problems in a more effective manner. Ultimately, finding a solution will depend on the individual's effort and persistence.