Researching Math: Finding the Right Balance

In summary, the conversation discusses different preferences for the depth of research one would like to pursue. Choice 1 focuses on solving problems that are easily understood by anyone, while Choice 2 explores advanced and unknown areas. Choice 3 is a middle ground between the two, and Choices 4 and 5 fall in between. The main advantages and disadvantages of each choice are also mentioned.

What's Your Favourite Choice For Area of Research?

• Choice 1

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Choice 2

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Choice 3

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Choice 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Choice 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
andytoh
Depth of Research?

Choice 1: I prefer to do research in an area where the problems I solve are problems that anybody can understand and appreciate. My proofs may be very difficult to understand, but at least anyone can understand what I've achieved and relate to it. Not too much prerequisite knowledge will be required for me to gain the background knowledge to do the research, but the problems I attempt to solve will nevertheless require great technique.

Choice 2: I prefer to do research in a very advanced area where very few people have gone, thus exploring an essentially new world that I will know more about than anyone else. This will require me to gain tremendous prerequisite knowledge first, but such exploration into unknown realms will leave me intrigued every time I do my research. Only mathematicians in my very specific, extremely advanced area (and there probably won't be too many of them) can appreciate and understand my work.

Choice 3: The middle ground between 1 and 2. A good deal of prerequisite knowledge will be required before I do my research but not so much that I lose my audience or will require me too many years to gain the background knowledge. Though the entire general public may not understand what I'm researching in, most math students will understand what I've achieved and have some appreciation.

Choice 4: Between 1 and 3.

Choice 5: Between 2 and 3.

I realize that some math students may not desire to become mathematicians, and those who do may not even know their own answer yet. Nevertheless, I'm just trying to get a feel for what others may think. Such long-term planning never hurts.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, the main advantage of choice 1 is that you don't have to spend too many years learning prerequisite courses, but I think the main disadvantage is that you may not be too proliforous in your publications. You are reasearching topics that are probably over 100 years old and are already explored by many mathematicians.

I think the main advantage of choice 2 is that because your area is so unknown, you will publish many papers. However, if so few people know what your research is about, will your work be considered useful? Also, your area is so advanced and requires so many prerequisites that you will have to spend many years just to get the background knowledge before you can start your research.

Last edited:
Because not too many math students know what their own choice is (and not all math students have decided to become mathematicians), so far only 6 have voted. However, it is interesting that so far we have an even distribution from one extreme to the other.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of researching math?

Researching math is crucial in order to advance our understanding and application of mathematical concepts. It allows us to develop new theories, problem-solving techniques, and technologies that can greatly impact fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I find a good balance between theoretical and applied research in math?

Finding a balance between theoretical and applied research in math depends on your specific goals and interests. It is important to have a solid foundation in theoretical concepts, but also to apply those concepts to real-world problems. Collaborating with other researchers and staying up-to-date on current developments in the field can also help you find a good balance.

3. What are some effective research methods for studying math?

Effective research methods for studying math include analyzing data, conducting experiments, and collaborating with other researchers. It is also important to stay organized and document your findings accurately. Additionally, staying up-to-date on relevant literature and attending conferences can also help in your research process.

4. How can I ensure the validity of my research findings in math?

To ensure the validity of your research findings in math, it is important to use reliable and accurate data, follow established research methods, and have your work peer-reviewed by other experts in the field. Additionally, constantly questioning and critically evaluating your own work can help identify any potential flaws in your research.

5. How can I make my math research accessible to a wider audience?

To make your math research accessible to a wider audience, it is important to communicate your findings in a clear and concise manner. This can include using visual aids, such as graphs or charts, and explaining complex concepts in simpler terms. Collaborating with researchers from different backgrounds and presenting your work at conferences can also help reach a wider audience.