1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of surface

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the area of the surface ##x^2+y^2+z^2 = R^2 , z \ge h , 0 \le h \le R##

2. Relevant equations
    ##A(S_D) = \iint_D |\mathbf r'_s \times \mathbf r'_t|dsdt##
    where ##S_D## is the surface over ##D##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We write the surface in parametric form using spherical coordinates
    ##\mathbf r(\theta ,\phi) = R(\sin \theta \cos \phi , \sin \theta \sin \phi , \cos \theta)##
    which gives us
    ##\mathbf r'_\theta = R(\cos \theta \cos \phi , \cos \theta \sin \phi , -\sin \theta)##
    and
    ##\mathbf r'_\phi = R(-\sin \theta \sin \phi , \sin \theta \cos \phi , 0 )##
    so we end up with
    ##|\mathbf r'_\theta \times \mathbf r'_\phi | = R^2|\sin \theta | |(\sin \theta \cos \phi , \sin \theta , \sin \theta \sin \phi , \cos \theta ) | = R^2|\sin \theta |##
    and the area
    ##A(S_D) = \iint _D R^2|\sin \theta | = \int _?^? \int _0^{2\pi } R^2|\sin \theta | d\phi d? = 2\pi \int _?^? R^2|\sin \theta | d? ##
    So my problem is i don't know what im supposed to integrate over. I suppose it should be ##\theta## but I'm not sure between what limits. Or even if the switch to spherical coordinates was a good idea at all.

The answer according to the book should be ##A(S_D) = 2\pi R(R-h)##
    which makes me think i made another error somewhere else as well since I got an excess of ##R##.

Appreciate any help. Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you are using ##\theta## as the angle from the ##z## axis, and yes, spherical coordinates is what you want. Draw a cross section of your sphere of radius ##R## with a horizontal line at ##z=h##. The triangle that forms should give you the limits for ##\theta##.

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only two variables you have are "[itex]\phi[/itex]" and "[itex]\theta[/itex]" and you have already integrated with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex] so the only possible remaining variable is [itex]\theta[/itex]. [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle a line from (0, 0, R) to (x, y, z) makes with the z-axis. When (x, y, z)= (0, 0, R), [itex]\theta= 0[/itex]. When [itex]z= R cos(\theta)= h[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= \frac{h}{R}[/itex] so [itex]\theta= cos^{-1}\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)[/itex].

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the help both of you! I got it from Kurtz advice earlier but couldn't respond before now. The confusion with if i should integrate over ##\theta ## was more that i couldn't find the limits and thought that perhaps spherical was a bad idea and i should use the radius somehow.

Gonna add the rest of the solution in case anyone else come upon the thread.
    From the attachment pdf we can see that ##cos(\theta)= \frac{h}{R}## so therefore ##0 \le \theta \le \arccos (\frac{h}{R} ) ##

##A = 2R^2\pi \int_0^{\arccos \frac{h}{R}} \sin \theta d\theta = 2R^2\pi ( -\frac{h}{R} + 1) = 2R\pi(R-h)##

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted