1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of universe

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    is it possible to find the area of universe using contour integration,as the limits would
    be -infinity to +infinity?
    Or even vector calculus can be used to determine area?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The question doesn't make very much sense, in that since the universe is (at least) three-dimensional, and would therefore have volume. From what little I know about it, I believe that cosmologists fall into two camps: those who believe the universe is finite, and those who believe it is infinite. In the former case, you could make estimates based on assuming it is spheroidal, or elipsoidal, or some other geometric shape. In the latter case, the volume would likely be infinite.

4. May 1, 2009 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Are we in a universe or a multiverse(and if so what type)? Question is highly subjective...depends on who you ask

5. May 1, 2009 #4
    How could you build a 4-volume out of R^2? Should it be conformal?

6. May 1, 2009 #5
    even if we consider the universe to be 3 dimensional,volume can be found,,as you say,if
    we consider universe to be infinite,then consider volume integral,having limits from -infinity
    to +infinity--we can still find the volume.

but if the universe is finite,we do not know its particular shape i.e ellipsoidal or circular,
    in order to calculate?But since we know the universe is expanding,it has to be finite.

7. May 1, 2009 #6

sylas

Science Advisor

That doesn't follow. An infinite universe can be everywhere expanding.

8. May 1, 2009 #7

Mark44

But to what purpose? If the universe is infinite, how could its volume not be infinite? And just exactly what would you integrate? This seems like a lot of work to get a trivial result.

9. May 2, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are not serious questions and there are serious questions. This is one of the latter.

10. May 2, 2009 #9

Mark44

Dick, did you mean to say former rather than latter?

11. May 2, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dang. I had a one in two chance of using the right word by accident and I blew it.

12. May 2, 2009 #11

Mark44

Don't you just hate it when that happens? Anyway, I'm glad that's cleared up. I was wondering if there was something in the post that I wasn't getting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook