1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area on the sphere

1. Jun 6, 2015 #1
    How to calculate some general area on a sphere for simplicity the unit sphere. Let's say I have a ball and I draw a ring on it. What is its area? I guess I need some initial point (some coordinate). Let's take a spherical coordinates with r=1. Element of area is [itex] \sin(\theta) d \theta d \phi [/itex]. But how to define (describe) a ring? I guess I need some function [itex]\theta(\phi) [/itex] and than integrate over ...what, all or some separate region of [itex]\phi[/itex]? Or what would you suggest?

Thank you for your advice and help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can always construct a new coordinate system with the z-axis passing through the center of the sphere and the center of the circle on the surface of the sphere. Given that the sphere has radius R, a "circle" of radius r with center on the z-axis is given by [itex]\phi= \frac{2\pi r}{R}[/itex]. The area of that circle is
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi r}{R}} sin(\theta)d\phi d\theta[/tex].

4. Jun 6, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your post, I understand , but it was just example, the ring on the ball. I would like to have some procedure for general case of area.

5. Jun 6, 2015 #4
    For the general case, because the boundary of the area may be strange, I thing numerical approximation is a feasible that can be considered.

6. Jun 6, 2015 #5
    I agree with numerical aprox., but I have to know some theoretical base.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook