1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area problem

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    Consider the region bounded by y = x^2, y = 5x+6, and the negative x-axis

Compute the area of this region.

Im somewhat confused by what they mean by the negative x-axis?

The points of intersection between the two functions are [-1,1] and [6,36]

A = Integral -1 to 6 (5x-6-x^2)?

I'd appreciate if someone evaluated this problem for me step by step for I have spent several hours on it now without any clue.. Thank You!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It should be the parabola is on the top right of the region, the line is on the top left of the region, and the x-axis is on the bottom of the region

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Draw the graphs! The "negative x-axis" is the part of the x-axis left of (0,0), that corresponds to negative values of x. The integral you give is incorrect. It (with 5x+ 6, not 6x- 6) gives the area of the region between y= x2 and y= 5x- 6. The area you want has upper boundry the straight line y= 5x- 6, from the point where it crosses the x-axis to (-1, 1) where it meets the parabola y= x2, then that parabola to (0,0). The lower boundary is the x-axis, y= 0.

You will have to do it as to separate integrals.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?