Find the Value of c for a 180 Area Enclosed by Two Parabolas

• Thread starter jimen113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the problem involves finding the value of c that will result in an area of 180 for the region enclosed by two symmetrical parabolas. After graphing the functions and working backwards to find the integral, it is determined that the value of c must be equal to +/-0.21 for the area to be 180. The use of mathtype or LaTeX may be helpful in presenting the solution.
jimen113
[SOLVED] area problem

Homework Statement

find c>0 such that the area of the region enclosed by the parabolas y=x^2-c^2 and y=c^2-x^2 is 180.

Homework Equations

Do I need to use the formula for the area of the circle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed both functions and I can clearly see that they are symmetrical parabolas one upward and one downward parabolas.
Then, I tried to work backwards and find the integral. [tex]\int[/tex](2x[tex]^{}2[/tex]-2c[tex]^{}2[/tex])dx

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good start. But I would take y on the upper parabola minus the y on the lower parabola, so I get 2c^2-2x^2. Now all you need is limits on the integral. Any ideas from your graph? No, this has nothing to do with circles.

Thanks for your help,
from the graph, when x=-/+.21 y=0 (point of intersection)

jimen113 said:
Thanks for your help,
from the graph, when x=-/+.21 y=0 (point of intersection)

Only if c=0.21, right? If you don't know C you'd better just say x=+/-C.

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to post the solution using math type, it's not working. However, if you're interested in the solution, please see attachment. And if anyone knows how to post from math type to this forum please help me out. I've tried copy and paste..it does not work.

Attachments

• webwork 10.doc
    17 KB · Views: 186
jimen113 said:
Thanks for your help. I'm trying to post the solution using math type, it's not working. However, if you're interested in the solution, please see attachment. And if anyone knows how to post from math type to this forum please help me out. I've tried copy and paste..it does not work.

I don't know what mathtype is, but you could use LaTeX. There is a thread somewhere, probably in feedback, telling you how to get started.

I've approved your attachment, anyway.

Cristo,
Thanks for the feedback and the information on LaTex.

1. How do you find the value of c for a 180 area enclosed by two parabolas?

To find the value of c, we need to first determine the equations of the two parabolas. Then, we can set them equal to each other and solve for the x-values where they intersect. These x-values will be the boundaries of the enclosed area. Next, we can calculate the area between these two boundaries using the formula A = (1/3)c^2. Finally, we can set this area equal to 180 and solve for c.

2. What is the formula for finding the area enclosed by two parabolas?

The formula for finding the area enclosed by two parabolas is A = (1/3)c^2, where c is the distance between the two parabolas at their intersections. This formula can be derived using basic calculus principles.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the value of c for a 180 area enclosed by two parabolas?

For example, let's say we have two parabolas with equations y = x^2 and y = -x^2 + c. To find the value of c, we first set these two equations equal to each other and solve for x. This will give us the two x-values where the parabolas intersect. Let's say these values are -2 and 2. Next, we can calculate the area between these two boundaries using the formula A = (1/3)c^2. Setting this area equal to 180, we can solve for c and get the value of c = 36.

4. What does the value of c represent in this scenario?

The value of c represents the distance between the two parabolas at their intersections. It is a measure of how wide or narrow the enclosed area is. A larger value of c will result in a wider enclosed area, while a smaller value of c will result in a narrower enclosed area.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the value of c for an enclosed area by two parabolas?

Yes, this concept can be applied in fields such as architecture and engineering. For example, if a structure has two curved walls in the shape of parabolas, finding the value of c can help determine the amount of material needed to construct the walls. It can also be used in designing bridges and other structures with parabolic shapes.