Solving the Puzzle: Calculating a Gravel Border Around a Shed

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, to make a border around a shed that is 10x11 feet wide, the border should be 1 foot wide.
yoleven

Homework Statement

An architect wants to make an exposed gravel border of uniform width around a shed. The shed has dimensions of 10 by 11 feet. She only has enough gravel to cover 46 sq feet. How wide should the border be?

Homework Equations

Area= L x W
46 sq ft is a limiting factor as well as the 110 sq feet of the shed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically did a trial and error because I didn't know how to set it up.
I arbitrarily chose .5feet for the border.
2((10ft+.5ft)x.5ft) for the two widths of the shed. Then I multiplied that by
2((11ft+.5ft)x.5ft) for the two lengths of the shed.
I got the answer of 23 ft so I seen that my original choice of .5 ft was two small
and I doubled it to 1 ft.

I didn't like doing it this way and would like someone to explain to me how to set up a way of solving this problem without trial and error please.

Physics news on Phys.org
yoleven said:

Homework Statement

An architect wants to make an exposed gravel border of uniform width around a shed. The shed has dimensions of 10 by 11 feet. She only has enough gravel to cover 46 sq feet. How wide should the border be?

Homework Equations

Area= L x W
46 sq ft is a limiting factor as well as the 110 sq feet of the shed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically did a trial and error because I didn't know how to set it up.
I arbitrarily chose .5feet for the border.
2((10ft+.5ft)x.5ft) for the two widths of the shed. Then I multiplied that by
2((11ft+.5ft)x.5ft) for the two lengths of the shed.
I got the answer of 23 ft so I seen that my original choice of .5 ft was two small
and I doubled it to 1 ft.

I didn't like doing it this way and would like someone to explain to me how to set up a way of solving this problem without trial and error please.

The very first thing you should do is draw a picture! Now specify your variables. Let L be the length and W be the width of the total area of shed and graveled border. You are told that the shed is 10 by 11 feet so the area of the shed is 110 square feet. Since there is enough gravel to cover 46 square feet, the area of shed and border must be 110+ 46= 156 square feet: LW= 156.

Now, let's be a bit more precise. The question asks for the width of the border. I take that to mean that the border is the same width all around. Call that width x. Do you see, from your picture, that L= 11+ 2x and W= 10+ 2x? That's because you have a border on both sides of both length and width.

Now LW= (11+ 2x)(10+ 2x)= 156. Can you multiply that out and solve the resulting equation?

That is very sensible. When I multiply (11+2x)(10+2x)=156, I get 110+22x+20x+4x^2=156.
Moving terms around I get, 4x^2+42x-46=0
I tried using the quadratic formula but it didn't work out. And I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. If the answer is 1ft. I am way off.

Hello, I tried it again and got it. Thanks for your help!

1. How do I calculate the amount of gravel needed for a shed border?

To calculate the amount of gravel needed for a shed border, you will need to measure the length and width of the shed's base. Then, multiply the length and width to get the total area. Next, add an additional 6 inches to the length and width to account for the gravel border. Finally, multiply the new length and width to get the total area of the gravel border. This will give you the amount of gravel needed in square feet.

2. What is the best type of gravel to use for a shed border?

The best type of gravel to use for a shed border is typically a crushed stone or pea gravel. These types of gravel are small and compact well, providing a stable base for the shed. It is also important to use gravel that is free of debris and sharp edges to avoid any damage to the shed.

3. How thick should the gravel border be around a shed?

The gravel border around a shed should be at least 4 inches thick. This will provide enough depth for proper drainage and stability for the shed. If you live in an area with heavy rainfall, you may want to consider making the border thicker to prevent any potential flooding.

4. Do I need to lay down a base before adding the gravel border?

It is not necessary to lay down a base before adding the gravel border, but it is recommended. A base layer, such as landscape fabric or crushed stone, can help prevent weeds from growing and provide a more stable base for the gravel. It can also help with drainage and prevent the gravel from sinking into the ground over time.

5. How often should I replace the gravel border around my shed?

The frequency of replacing the gravel border around a shed will depend on various factors such as climate, usage, and the type of gravel used. In general, it is recommended to check the border annually and replace any gravel that has been displaced or compacted. With proper maintenance, a gravel border can last for several years.