Find the Area of a Rectangular Plane with 3 Sequential Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the area of a rectangle with a point inside, and involves the use of angles and equations to solve it. There is also a discussion about whether the area can be uniquely specified without knowing all the angles involved.
vabamyyr
i started to work on a problem. A point on a plane is away from 3 sequential tips
of rectangular respectively 3, 4, 5 units. Find the area of rectangular. I have an image.

Attachments

• area_problem.jpg
    area_problem.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did you mix up alpha and beta? (check the angles in the equations)

on the image alfa and beta were mixed up but corrected now

Hello, I am linguist teacher, I am sorry for posting in your thread, because I really don't know how to start a thread, I have got a problem in math class, i take it as my second degree, very basic but i don't know how to solve it
I have a big square with one point(x,y) inside it, i have tow other small rectangles, with a given width (B), the two rectangles are drawn, divided with lines, into very small squares, then I put one head of one rectanguler into the square at one edge of the square, and the other rectangler is done the same but from the opposite edge, such that the point is on the line from rectanguler to other rectaguler.
But not all rectangler width is inside the square. If i know how many the very small squares in the 2 rectagulers are inside the big square, How can i find the centroid of the big square ?
Thanks a bunch

Last edited:
can someone help me please ?

vabamyyr said:
i started to work on a problem. A point on a plane is away from 3 sequential tips...

To find the area, it would be enough to find the lengths of DC and CB, wouldn't it?

You're familiar with the theorem of cosines:

You know EC, EB, and α - can you find CB?
You know @, #, and (α + β) - can you find DC?

alfa and beta
Neat spelling of α - is that Estonian?

i don`t know alfa

If you don't know the angles, then the area is not uniquely specified. This is clear if you try to shift point E downwards, while preserving the three known lengths - both the rectangle's sides increase, and so the area increases. Thus the area would not be uniquely specified.

u have a rectangle and u can find a point which satisfies this condition. I wouldn`t say that the area isn`t uniquely specified otherwise why would this task be in a book. And answer should be 12

A clear example:
(ED=3, EC=4, EB=5)

D----E------C

A------------B

Area of ADCB: 7*3= 21

compare to:

E

D------------C
A----------- B

Area of ADCB: roughly 3.29...

Thus, ED, EC, and EB do not uniquely specify an area for ADCB; you need alfa and beta also.

Last edited by a moderator:
any other ideas, i hate to think that this task cannot be done

It's not the answer you're looking for;

Area = (DC) * (CB)
[tex]=\left( 3^2+4^2-2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot \cos (\alpha + \beta) \right) \left( 4^2+5^2-2 \cdot 4 \cdot 5 \cdot \cos (\alpha) \right)[/tex]
=...

As you see, it's dependent on both "alfa" and beta.

1. How do I find the area of a rectangular plane?

To find the area of a rectangular plane, you need to multiply the length and width of the plane. The formula for finding the area is A = l x w, where A represents the area, l represents the length, and w represents the width.

2. What do you mean by 3 sequential tips?

By 3 sequential tips, we mean three separate pieces of advice or steps that can be followed in order to find the area of a rectangular plane. These tips can include identifying the length and width, using the formula, and rounding the final answer to the appropriate unit of measurement.

3. Do I need to know the units of measurement to find the area?

Yes, the units of measurement for both the length and width must be the same in order to find the area correctly. For example, if the length is measured in inches, then the width should also be measured in inches.

4. Can you give an example of finding the area of a rectangular plane?

Sure, let's say we have a rectangular plane with a length of 10 feet and a width of 5 feet. To find the area, we would use the formula A = l x w and plug in the values: A = 10 ft x 5 ft = 50 ft2. The area of the plane would be 50 square feet.

5. What if the length or width is not a whole number?

If the length or width is not a whole number, you can still find the area using the same formula. Just make sure to include the appropriate units of measurement in your final answer. For example, if the length is 3.5 meters and the width is 2 meters, the area would be 7 square meters (A = 3.5 m x 2 m = 7 m2).