Can We Prove x1 Equals x2 When the Integral of a Positive Function Equals Zero?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary: Since the integral is equal to 0, this implies that the lower Riemann sum is also equal to 0. However, this contradicts the fact that the function is always positive. Therefore, x1 must equal x2.
Bipolarity
Consider the function [itex]F(x)[/itex] where [itex]F(x) > 0 [/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex].

If we know that [tex]\int^{x_{2}}_{x_{1}}F(x)dx = 0 [/tex] can we prove that [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex] ?

I can visually imagine that they are equal since the function is always positive, its integral must be monotically increasing, but I can't imagine how I would prove this.

I made the problem myself while studying probability so I'm not sure a solution exists. If a solution does not exist I'd like to see a counterexample.

I would imagine that the solution employs the MVDT and FTC, but as I mentioned before, I'm not good at actually writing the statements for proofs so I need some help here.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Let G'(x)=F(x), i.e. let G(x) represent a primitive of F(x). Then the integral in your post is equal to G(x2) - G(x1). After this, you can use monotonicity of the derivative F(x) to prove that G(x2) - G(x1) = 0 implies x2 - x1 = 0, and your statement follows.

Bipolarity said:
Consider the function [itex]F(x)[/itex] where [itex]F(x) > 0 [/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex].

If we know that [tex]\int^{x_{2}}_{x_{1}}F(x)dx = 0 [/tex] can we prove that [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex] ?

I would imagine that the solution employs the MVDT and FTC, but as I mentioned before, I'm not good at actually writing the statements for proofs so I need some help here.

BiP

If the endpoints are not equal then there is a strictly positive lower Riemann sum under the curve. The integral is bounded below by this sum.

What is the definition of "area under a curve"?

The area under a curve refers to the total area enclosed by the curve and the x-axis on a graph. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent the amount of space or quantity within a given range.

How is the area under a curve calculated?

The area under a curve is typically calculated using integration, which is a mathematical process of finding the total area under a curve by dividing it into small, infinite rectangles and adding them together. The exact method of integration used depends on the shape and complexity of the curve.

What is the significance of the area under a curve?

The area under a curve can provide important information about a given function or data set. It can represent physical quantities such as distance, velocity, or acceleration in physics, or the total amount of a substance in chemistry. It can also be used to calculate probabilities in statistics and to analyze trends in data.

What are some real-world applications of the area under a curve?

The concept of area under a curve has numerous applications in various fields. For example, it is used to calculate the work done by a force in physics, to measure the amount of medication in a person's bloodstream in pharmacology, and to determine the amount of energy produced by a power plant in engineering.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the area under a curve?

There are some limitations and assumptions when using the area under a curve. The integration process assumes that the curve is continuous and that the area under the curve can be accurately divided into small rectangles. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the data and the chosen integration method. In some cases, the area under a curve may also be affected by external factors such as noise or outliers in the data.