Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Area under a graph

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the region between x=-pi/6 and x=pi/4 above the x-axis and below the graph of:
    y=cos(2x)(8-cos(2x))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I need to reformulate the expression somehow so that it is easier to integrate, and I'm guessing it's a double angle formula like:
    cos (2x) = 2 cos^2 x -1
    but I can't seem to bring it all together to find something I know how to integrate.
    Any hints? This is an assignment question, so I'd like to know how to do it properly. I've also changed a few of the values (but not the argument of the trig functions).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
    good. so far youre off to a good start. use that trig identity and play around with it once you substitute that in your integral.

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

You guess well, but use the formula in the opposite way, to make cos^2 (2x) disappear. You can integrate cos2x and cos4x.

ehild

5. Aug 20, 2010 #4
    I'm a little confused by that...if I use the formula the opposite way to get cos^2 to disappear, I get back to what I started with.
    At the moment I've changed the cos(2x) and expanded the brackets to get:

16 cos^2 (x) - 7 - 4 cos^4 (x)

I'm not sure if I'm any closer or not.

6. Aug 20, 2010 #5
    You are thinking about it the wrong way. You have

f(x) = 8 cos(2x) - cos^2 (2x)

You could easily do u sub, so 8 cos(u) - cos^2(u). Integrating cos is easy, but what about cos^2?

7. Aug 20, 2010 #6
    Ah yes, I see now.
    Thanks all.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook