1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area under a normal curve

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mean is 17.8 and the standard deviation is 5.2. The shop does not want to give more than 1% of its customers free service, how long should the guarantee be? (cut the problem short, the rest was just story)

2. Relevant equations
    I think the equation I would use is X = Z(standard deviation) + Mean

3. The attempt at a solution
    I changed 1% into the Z score and got -2.33 and plugged that into the equation, -2.33(5.2) + 17.8 and ended up with 5.684. That is lower than the mean though which does not make sense to me, why would the shop guarantee they can complete the job in 6 minutes (rounding up) is the mean is 17.8. Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure you have the interpretation correct? The shop can say that no more than 1% of jobs will be finished in less than 5.68 minutes; that is, they can say "we guarantee we won't finish your job before 5.68 minutes". Wouldn't the shop want to say "we can guarantee your job won't take _longer than_ X minutes"? That would make X greater than 17.8, not less.

RGV

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The z score you want is +2.33.

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4
    The problem says that the shop does not want to give more than 1% of customers a free oil change, so I would think it would be over the mean, which makes sense if the Z score is positive, but i don't see why it's positive. Sorry, I should have written the whole problem

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5

Mark44

Right. So if the z-value for the time it takes the shop to do an oil change is larger than 2.33, that represents only 1% of the customers.

Now, you need to translate that z-value of 2.33 to an x-value, which represents the cutoff time for an oil change. If the shop takes longer than that cutoff value, the oil change is free.

7. Nov 10, 2011 #6
    The equation I posted at the top is the correct one to change the Z value to an X right? the answer i got it 29.91, or 30 minutes

8. Nov 10, 2011 #7

Mark44

Yes, your equation is fine, and barring any arithmetic errors (I didn't check), your answer looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook