How can I find the area under a polar curve with the equation r^2 = 4cos(2θ)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the integral of 4cos(2θ) and the confusion around choosing the correct limits. The original poster realizes that they were only finding the area of one loop instead of the entire graph and the correct answer is 4.
johnhuntsman
r2 = 4cos(2θ)

First I graph it. Then I set up the integral.

_____π
(1 / 2)∫ 4cos(2θ) dθ
_____0

________π
= [sin(2θ)]
________0

I thought the limits ought to be π and 0, but that comes out to zero. I pick other limits and they come out to 0. My graph matches the one in the back of the book. I know I've integrated correctly. I think the problem is the limits I'm picking somehow. The correct answer is 4.

[Edit] I also picked (π / 4) and -(π / 4) as limits, but that certainly didn't get me 4. [Edit]

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget it I see what I'm doing. I'm only finding the area of one loop. My bad. Feel free to delete this post if you're a mod.

What is the area under a polar curve?

The area under a polar curve is the total area enclosed by the curve and the origin on a polar coordinate system. It is calculated by integrating the polar equation over a given interval.

How do you find the area under a polar curve?

To find the area under a polar curve, you can use the formula A = 1/2 ∫(r^2) dθ, where r is the polar equation and θ represents the angle of rotation. Simply integrate the polar equation over the given interval and multiply by 1/2 to find the area.

Can the area under a polar curve be negative?

No, the area under a polar curve cannot be negative. Since the area is calculated by taking the integral of a function, it will always result in a positive value. However, if the polar curve crosses the origin, the area will be counted twice and should be subtracted from the total area to get the correct value.

What is the significance of finding the area under a polar curve?

Finding the area under a polar curve has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to calculate the area of irregular shapes and to find the center of mass of a polar object.

Can the area under a polar curve be infinite?

Yes, the area under a polar curve can be infinite if the polar curve has an asymptote. In this case, the area would be considered infinite in length rather than infinite in value. However, most polar curves used in calculations have a finite area.