Displacement Calculation: Speed x Time

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Speed
In summary, you can take a limit of the area under the curve given the speed and time in miliseconds by evaluating that integral.
PrudensOptimus
Hi,

Is the exact displacement = sum of ( speed * time ) ?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Exact displacement is the area between a velocity curve and the x-axis.

It's not a sum,but an integral...

[tex] \int d\vec{r} =\int \vec{v} \ dt [/tex]

Choose two moments of time [itex] t_{1} < t_{2} [/itex] and u'll find

[tex]\vec{r}\left(t_{2}\right)-\vec{r}\left(t_{1}\right) =\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \vec{v} \ dt [/tex]

Daniel.

integral is sum...

No.The integral is a limit of a Riemann/Darboux/... sum...

Daniel.

i forgot to mention that the time is very very very small... it is in measured in miliseconds

The process of taking a limit is independent of the unit chosen for a physical quantity...

Daniel.

so how do I make a good estimation of the area under the curve given the speed and time in miliseconds?

By evaluating that integral...Formulate the problem with its original text.Then we'll see what it needs to be done.

Daniel.

Just try to apply a basic discrete integration scheme, like rectangles :

[tex] d=\sum_{i=1}^n v_i*\Delta t_i [/tex]

I suppose in your case, the intervals [tex] \Delta t_i [/tex] are all the same.
You can also use trapezoidal scheme.

But you can apply better integration scheme, like Simpson (2n order interpolation), or even higher splines stuff, aso...

what is the Simpson's method?

I think in the Simpson method you interpolate 3 points with a parabola and integrate the obtained curve. This is equivalent to the ponderation : 2/3*rectangle+1/3*trapezes and gives :

[tex] d=\sum_{i=1}^{N-1}(v(t_{i+1})+4v(\frac{t_i+t_{i+1}}{2})+v(t_{i})) \frac{\Delta t_i}{6} [/tex]

It's of double order than rectangles...

The easiest way is to find a fit to your curve, integrate that wrt time, and evaluate your endpoints. Best estimation you could get.

If you are given intervals in time and speeds that remain constant (piecewise, presumably) over those intervals, then taking a sum over all the intervals of the time on the interval times the speed on the interval will give you the exact displacement, yes.

Data said:
If you are given intervals in time and speeds that remain constant (piecewise, presumably) over those intervals, then taking a sum over all the intervals of the time on the interval times the speed on the interval will give you the exact displacement, yes.

Thank you.

1. What is displacement calculation?

Displacement calculation is a method used to find the distance an object has moved from its original position. It involves multiplying the speed of the object by the time it has been moving.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending point of an object's motion, while distance is the total length of the path an object has traveled.

3. How is speed calculated in displacement calculation?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This gives the average speed of the object over the given time period.

4. Can displacement calculation be used for objects with varying speeds?

Yes, displacement calculation can be used for objects with varying speeds. However, in this case, the average speed of the object over the given time period should be used in the calculation.

5. What are the units of measurement for displacement calculation?

The units of measurement for displacement calculation depend on the units of measurement used for speed and time. For example, if speed is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds, then displacement will be measured in meters.