How is the area under the arch of y=sinx related to the unit circle?

• Thread starter Trav44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, Travis found the areas for triangles, trapeziums, and the total area. He also found that the answer is close to 2. He does not understand how the formula was derived, nor why pi is split into increments of 0.1.
Trav44
Hi guys I'm new to the forum but with year 12 maths coming up next year I assume I'll be coming here a lot.

This question is part of my end of year investigation.

I have scanned the questions and attached them as jpegs.

I was thinking something along the lines of using the triangle to determine the area? Or if the fact that this curve is related to half of a unit circle had something to do with it?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thank you, Travis

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 834
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 844
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got to show an attempt at solving the problem in order to get some help.

Hi Trav, welcome to the forums. I do hope you'll be coming here - and learning - a lot.
As SteamKing said, please show us your attempt or problem. The questions are leading you in a specific direction. As you've noticed, there is a pretty big hint in the picture in the form of the auxiliary lines that have been drawn, creating for example a triangle. If you show us how far you got with that, we may be able to help you complete it.

Sorry I was unaware that an attempt must be shown, I will be sure to include them in every question from here on out :)
My attempts for each question as follows are:
1. The area of the outer rectangle is pi as pi x 1 = pi
The area for the inner triangle is 1/2bh so 1/2 x pi x 1= 1/2pi or pi/2
this shows that the area under the sine arch must fit the range of pi./2 < x < pi

Triangle area= 1/2 x b x h
1/2 x pi/4 x sin(pi/4)= 0.2776

Trapezium area = (a + b)/2 x h
(sin (pi/4) + sin(pi/2))/2 x pi/4=0.6704

total area = 0.2776x2 + 0.6704x2= 1.896

which is the correct area

I get that sin of (pi/4 or pi/2) is the height at those given points but could someone please give me an explanation as to why this is?

I have found the area for both triangles and trapeziums and multiplied them by 2 to give me the overall area and this is right how ever I cannot make the connection between this and the equation pi/4(1+(root 2))3. I can use the formula to add up all the areas and I get an answer close to 2 which seems logical as the area under a sine curve is meant to equal 2.
I do not understand how this formula has been derived though?
And for pi to be split into increments of 0.1 I thought the start of the equation should be 1/31.4 as this is pi/0.1?
1/20 would give increments close to 0.15 wouldn't it?

1. What is the formula for finding the area under the arch of y=sinx?

The formula for finding the area under the arch of y=sinx is given by A = ∫sinx dx, where A represents the area and ∫ represents integration.

2. How do you calculate the area under the arch of y=sinx?

To calculate the area under the arch of y=sinx, you can use the formula A = ∫sinx dx and evaluate the integral using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the significance of the area under the arch of y=sinx?

The area under the arch of y=sinx represents the total displacement or distance traveled by an object moving along the x-axis with a velocity described by the function y=sinx. It can also be interpreted as the total change in position over a given time interval.

4. Can the area under the arch of y=sinx be negative?

No, the area under the arch of y=sinx cannot be negative as it represents a physical quantity (distance or displacement) and cannot have a negative value.

5. How does changing the limits of integration affect the area under the arch of y=sinx?

Changing the limits of integration will result in a different value for the area under the arch of y=sinx. This is because the limits of integration determine the range over which the function is being integrated, and thus, the total area under the curve.