1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area-Volume with e

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the problem.

Let S be the region in the first quadrant bounded by the graphs of y=e^(-x^2) , y=2x^2, and the y- axis

a. Find the area of the region S
    b. Find the volume of the solid generated when the region S is rotated about the x axis
    c. The region s is the base of a soid for which each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is a semi-circle with diameter in the xy plane. Find the volume of this solid.

2. Relevant equations

y=e^(-x^2)
    y=2x^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really have any idea how to solve this problem. I understand the process using normal functions however the e is putting me at a loss. I am trying to do it by hand so I can understand it, but am completely lost.

Heres what I've done. Since e is base of ln.

lny= -x^2 ln e = lny=-x^2 Therefore x= sqrt(-lny)

With the other equation in terms of x as I am asuming I am solving for it about the y axis for part a. x = sqrt(y/2)

From here I get confused, I don't know how to graph x=sqrt(-lny)

I can't figure out how to find the bounderies of the interval so I can't find the area or the volume. Any help would be appreciated.:uhh: :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2007 #2
    find the upper and lower limits, set x equal to zero and find that e raised to zero will be one and 2x^2=0. Then find the point of intersection of the two graphs and use zero and that point as your interval.

I admit this looks tough due to the fact that you are working with e^(-x^2) which has no elementary solution.

4. Feb 27, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where in the world did you get this problem! To find the limits of integration, as Plastic Photon said, you need to solve
    [tex]e^{-x^2}= 2x^2[/tex]
    which cannot be done with elementary methods. You might be able to solve it in terms of the Lambert W function. In any case, I see no reasonable way of integrating
    [tex]\int (e^{-x^2}- 2x^2)dx[/tex]

5. Feb 27, 2007 #4
    maybe YOU don't

...but...

Maple does :cool:

let's see if my newbie latex skills can do it justice

> a:=exp(-x^2)- 2*x^2;

a := [tex]e^{-x^2} - 2x^2[/tex]

> int(a,x);
    int/indef1: first-stage indefinite integration
    int/indef2: second-stage indefinite integration
    int/exp: case of integrand containing exp
    int/indef2: second-stage indefinite integration
    int/exp: case of integrand containing exp

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\pi}\ erf(x) -\displaystyle{\frac{2x^3}{3}}[/tex]

ahhh maple...:!!)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  6. Feb 27, 2007 #5

I got this problem from my teacher, who got it from a AP calculus practice test. I'm supposed to use my calculator, but I hate doing that when I don't know how to do it by hand.

7. Feb 27, 2007 #6
    I am so lost in your post...lol :)

8. Feb 28, 2007 #7
    the erf function, or the error function, is simply defined to be the integral of e^(-x^2) with some constant factors. So, it really wasn't "integrated" but just rewritten in a different way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?