Area-Volume of e: Find Solutions & Calculate Volumes

• Thread starter Yowhatsupt
  • Start date
Also, the fact that this problem is from an AP test, means that it has an elementary solution (although I don't know what it is). In any case, I have no idea how to find it.I have only seen one problem on the AP test that required the Lambert W function, and it was a 5 point problem (out of 108 points), but that was a few years ago, so things might have changed.
Yowhatsupt

Homework Statement

Here is the problem.

Let S be the region in the first quadrant bounded by the graphs of y=e^(-x^2) , y=2x^2, and the y- axis

a. Find the area of the region S
b. Find the volume of the solid generated when the region S is rotated about the x axis
c. The region s is the base of a soid for which each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is a semi-circle with diameter in the xy plane. Find the volume of this solid.

Homework Equations

y=e^(-x^2)
y=2x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have any idea how to solve this problem. I understand the process using normal functions however the e is putting me at a loss. I am trying to do it by hand so I can understand it, but am completely lost.

Heres what I've done. Since e is base of ln.

lny= -x^2 ln e = lny=-x^2 Therefore x= sqrt(-lny)

With the other equation in terms of x as I am asuming I am solving for it about the y-axis for part a. x = sqrt(y/2)

From here I get confused, I don't know how to graph x=sqrt(-lny)

I can't figure out how to find the bounderies of the interval so I can't find the area or the volume. Any help would be appreciated.:uhh: :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
find the upper and lower limits, set x equal to zero and find that e raised to zero will be one and 2x^2=0. Then find the point of intersection of the two graphs and use zero and that point as your interval.

I admit this looks tough due to the fact that you are working with e^(-x^2) which has no elementary solution.

Where in the world did you get this problem! To find the limits of integration, as Plastic Photon said, you need to solve
[tex]e^{-x^2}= 2x^2[/tex]
which cannot be done with elementary methods. You might be able to solve it in terms of the Lambert W function. In any case, I see no reasonable way of integrating
[tex]\int (e^{-x^2}- 2x^2)dx[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
In any case, I see no reasonable way of integrating

maybe YOU don't

...but...

Maple does :cool:

let's see if my newbie latex skills can do it justice

> a:=exp(-x^2)- 2*x^2;

a := [tex]e^{-x^2} - 2x^2[/tex]

> int(a,x);
int/indef1: first-stage indefinite integration
int/indef2: second-stage indefinite integration
int/exp: case of integrand containing exp

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\pi}\ erf(x) -\displaystyle{\frac{2x^3}{3}}[/tex]

ahhh maple...:!)

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Where in the world did you get this problem! To find the limits of integration, as Plastic Photon said, you need to solve
[tex]e^{-x^2}= 2x^2[/tex]
which cannot be done with elementary methods. You might be able to solve it in terms of the Lambert W function. In any case, I see no reasonable way of integrating

I got this problem from my teacher, who got it from a AP calculus practice test. I'm supposed to use my calculator, but I hate doing that when I don't know how to do it by hand.

mybsaccownt said:
maybe YOU don't

...but...

Maple does :cool:

let's see if my newbie latex skills can do it justice

> a:=exp(-x^2)- 2*x^2;

a := [tex]e^{-x^2} - 2x^2[/tex]

> int(a,x);

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\pi}\ erf(x) -\displaystyle{\frac{2x^3}{3}}[/tex]

ahhh maple...:!)

I am so lost in your post...lol :)

the erf function, or the error function, is simply defined to be the integral of e^(-x^2) with some constant factors. So, it really wasn't "integrated" but just rewritten in a different way.

What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you calculate the volume of a rectangular prism?

The volume of a rectangular prism can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the prism together. The formula is V = lwh, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

What is the difference between area and volume?

Area is the measure of the surface covered by a shape or object in two dimensions, while volume is the measure of the space occupied by a shape or object in three dimensions.

How do you find the area of a triangle?

The area of a triangle can be found by multiplying the base of the triangle by its height and then dividing the result by 2. The formula is A = 1/2bh, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.