Finding Area Between x=2(y^2) & x+y=1

In summary, the equation for finding the area between x=2(y^2) and x+y=1 is given by: A = ∫(x+y-1)dx - ∫(2(y^2))dx. To solve for x and y in the given equations, we can use substitution and solve for the intersection points to determine the limits of integration. The negative sign in the equation indicates that we are finding the area below the curve of x+y=1 and above the curve of x=2(y^2). The resulting area value represents the total area between the two curves and can be either positive or negative depending on the limits of integration and the orientation of the curves.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find the area between
x=2(y^2) and x+y=1

The Attempt at a Solution

First I'm trying to find their intersection so

To solve for y I set up:
2(y^2)=1-y
2(y^2)+y=1
y=0,1

But, I notice that my teacher did:
2(y^2)+y-1=0
(2y+1)(y-1)=0
y=-1, 1/2

Why are these 2 methods bringing about different answers? Shouldn't they be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't double post.

What is the equation for finding the area between x=2(y^2) and x+y=1?

The equation for finding the area between x=2(y^2) and x+y=1 is given by:
A = ∫(x+y-1)dx - ∫(2(y^2))dx.

How do you solve for x and y in the given equations?

To solve for x and y in the given equations, we can use substitution. We can rearrange the equations to solve for y in terms of x, and then substitute that value of y into the other equation to solve for x.

What are the limits of integration for finding the area between the given equations?

The limits of integration would depend on the intersection points of the two equations. To find the intersection points, we can set the equations equal to each other and solve for x. The resulting x-values will be the limits of integration.

What is the meaning of the negative sign in the equation for finding the area?

The negative sign in the equation for finding the area indicates that we are finding the area below the curve of x+y=1 and above the curve of x=2(y^2). This is because the second integral represents the area of x=2(y^2), which is below the x-axis.

How do you interpret the resulting area value?

The resulting area value represents the total area between the two curves and can be either positive or negative depending on the limits of integration and the orientation of the curves. A positive value indicates that the area lies above the x-axis, while a negative value indicates that the area lies below the x-axis.