1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Areas between curves

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    I know its a really dumb question and if i reached this far in math i should know but..how do you draw the diagrams for this topic? Like they give you a region in a plane defined by some kind of inequalities such as (x-2y^2 greater than or equal to 0), (1-x- IyI greater than or equal to 0) and tell you draw it...and im just spaced out drawing circles all over my paper at this point...THE BEGINNING :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean [itex]x- 2y^2\ge 0[/itex] and [itex]1- x- |y|\ge 0[/itex]?

Draw graphs of the corresponding equations. [itex]x- 2y^2= 0[/itex] is the same as [itex]x= 2y^2[/itex], a hyperbola with horizontal axis. 1- x- |y|= 0 is the same as x= 1-|y|, a "broken" line or a "V" opening to the right. Then take one point on each side of the curve to decide which side is "[itex]\ge[/itex]" and which is "[itex]\le[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?