Weird Movie I Saw in 2004 - Help Remember the Title?

• Thread starter Ad Infinitum NAU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Weird
In summary, the conversation is about a movie that the person is trying to remember. They describe some scenes and mention a character named Jim Carrey. Another person suggests that the movie is "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and the original person remembers the title. They also mention that they usually have a good memory but this one movie seemed to be erased from their mind. They also discuss Jim Carrey's transformation as an actor.
Ad Infinitum NAU
Ok so I've been trying to think of this movie I saw back in April (around there) 2004 in theaters. It was pretty weird. That's all I remember about it, that it was weird. I'll do my best to remember some scenes, maybe someone will remember and be able to give me the title..

It started out with this guy dating this really weird gal and she wanted him to stay over at her place on their first date or something.. then weird weird weird.. another scene late in the movie was them having an argument or something and the guy started tripiing out really bad. they were arguing at night on a street, and he watched her walk away in one direction, then turned around and it was like the camera mirror-flopped and she was suddenly walking away the other direction or something.

Another memory i have of it was that the girl went and had her memory of him erased so then he did it too, and it was lke fate that they met back up again or something and started remembering their life together.. i guess it was all about some doctor that was able to erase memories or something. Apparently the movie was hypnotic and actually erased my memory of it. It's really weird how i can't remember a thing about it. I usually have a near-flawless, photographic memory, but this one movie seems like i was heavily drugged while watching (even though the drugs were not present that night ;) ).. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just saw that once I posted this thread, the thread beneath it was "Memorization Tactics"... hmm

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, staring Jim Carrey.

- Warren

Ha.. Just after i posted I went and grabbed some water, and while looking at the glass I thought to myself how spotless it was, then it was like a tidal wave of memory from the movie splashed into my mind and I remembered the title and the entire movie.. Thank you, however, for your post. I hate/love when that happens!

I really want to see that movie. Is it any good?

I thought it was great!

- Warren

What's it about? Hopefully better than Ad Infinitum's description...a guy dates a girl, then weird weird weird. LOL! That's not likely to attract a huge audience.

I do that with movies too, remember a bunch of scenes, but can't recall the name of the movie, or have this vague recollection I saw it, but can't recall a thing about it (though I traced most of that back to seeing movies while on dates...one particular boyfriend too...I was just so infatuated with him that I think my attention wasn't exactly on the movies at the time...sigh).

Moonbear said:
What's it about? Hopefully better than Ad Infinitum's description...a guy dates a girl, then weird weird weird. LOL!

Much better - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338013/

Hmm...sounds really good. I probably would have skipped over it with Jim Carey in it (I like his stuff, but have to be in the right mood to watch it or it just seems dumb), but from that description, it sounds pretty good. I'll have to check it out next time I'm renting movies.

IMO, Jim Carey has effectively recast himself as a competent dramatic actor with this movie. There isn't any slapstick physical comedy in this movie at all, and Carey acts quite well, I think. I used to pretty much despise the guy before seeing The Truman Show, which I think was the beginning of his refocusing, but now I rather like him.

- Warren

What was the plot of the movie?

The movie followed a group of teenagers who stumbled upon a mysterious island inhabited by ancient creatures.

Who were the main characters?

The main characters were a group of high school students, including a brave and adventurous protagonist, a shy bookworm, a popular jock, and a rebellious troublemaker.

What was the genre of the movie?

The movie was a mix of fantasy, adventure, and science fiction.

Was the movie based on a book or other source material?

No, the movie was an original story written by the director.

Did the movie receive positive reviews?

The movie received mixed reviews from critics, with some praising its creativity and special effects, while others criticized its thin plot and character development.