1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ARGH Matlab trouble

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    ARGH!!! Matlab trouble!!!

Ok, I'm having a big problem as described here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=46950

Basically, I've never used matlab and was given an assignment on friday which requires that I use matlab. First off, could someone please help me with my projectile problem?

Next, how the heck does one write an m-file. I know how to open the editor and the simple stuff but actually using ODE45 is killing me. The help file is about as useful as a man file--good for pro's lousy for novices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2
    If you haven't already figured it out, there's nothing much to an .m file. Since i do not warez matlab, i'm using vim (a text editor) and octave. Basically what goes in a .m file is something like this
    Code (Text):

function returnValue = f(x)
         returnValue = 2*x^2 + 3*x+2
    end

format long %for displaying more digits
    result1 = f(4)
    results = zeros(1,10); %creates a vector full of zeros, 10 big
    results(1) =  f(6);
    results(5)  = f(24);

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3
    Dont know about the projectile project but with the m - file i could help...
    open a new m-file which can be found in File, then New... after which click on M-file...

Here u type in your code... when your done save it and give it a name (obviously... hehehe) now u can call your M-file from the command window in the main page...

however, if u want to make your own functions, wherein a created m-file will act like a regular function in matlab... all the functions in the matlab library have m-files as well... search for function in help to get details... to see what im talking about type this: type specgram

upon pressing enter, the entire code will come up... thats basically the same thing u need to do... the help for function is fairly easy to use...

hope i helped! Ü

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4
    Here's an example of an m-file i made

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?