1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Arguement - complex numbers

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the modulus and the principal value of the argument for the complex number [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] - i

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the modulus is just 'square both, add, and square root of sum', so r = [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], but I don't know how to find the second part. I know vaguely that the argument = [tex]\theta[/tex], but I don't know where to go from here.

Do I need to convert the complex number into polar or euler form?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What two numbers did you 'square both, add, and square root of sum' to get sqrt(2)? The complex number a+bi can be drawn as the hypotenuse of a right triangle in the complex plane with a horizontal leg of length a and a vertical leg of length b. Haven't you seen this picture? The argument is the angle the hypotenuse makes with the x-axis. So you have tan(argument)=b/a. Remember trig? Principal value is a convention for choosing which of several possible angles might satisfy the tangent equation. Look it up, hopefully it will come with a nice picture.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    okay, I think I get the argument now

for the modulus, I added [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] [tex]^{2}[/tex] and i[tex]^{2}[/tex] to get 3 - 1, then square rooted to get [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

is that wrong?

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. You square the real part, sqrt(3), and the imaginary part, -1, add them, then take the square root. The imaginary part is the coefficient of i.

6. Dec 9, 2009 #5
    okay, thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook