Deriving Conclusion with Argument Derivations Principles of Sound Reasoning

In summary, in order to derive the conclusion (A&B)->(CvD) from the given premises, one must assume B&J and utilize the given premises, including B&J, in order to reach the desired conclusion.
whozum
Principles of sound reasoning.

For the following argument, derive the conclusion:

[tex] B [/tex] & [tex] C [/tex]
[tex](A \leftrightarrow B) v (C\rightarrow D) [/tex]
[tex] (A v E) \rightarrow H [/tex]
[tex] (D [/tex] & [tex] C) \rightarrow I [/tex]
[tex] (IvJ) \rightarrow H [/tex]

Conclusion is H.

I know I am supposed to make some provisional assumptions, but I really don't know the guidelines to picking the right ones. I have afew more if someoen can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
whozum said:
Principles of sound reasoning.

For the following argument, derive the conclusion:

[tex] B [/tex] & [tex] C [/tex]
[tex](A \leftrightarrow B) v (C\rightarrow D) [/tex]
[tex] (A v E) \rightarrow H [/tex]
[tex] (D [/tex] & [tex] C) \rightarrow I [/tex]
[tex] (IvJ) \rightarrow H [/tex]

Conclusion is H.

I know I am supposed to make some provisional assumptions, but I really don't know the guidelines to picking the right ones. I have afew more if someoen can help.
B&C implies B. Case 1. A <-> B. Therefore, A. Then as (AvE)->H, and we have A, we then have AvE; therefore H. Case 2.C ->D. Well B&C implies C. Therefore D. So we have D&C; therefore I. As we have I, we have IvJ and since (IvJ)->H, we have H. In both cases (which are all the cases), we have H.

My problem here isn't deriving the argument, its choosing the correct provisional assumptions. I am pretty confident I can derive the argument, but there's some guidelines that your supposed to follow to choose the most useful ones, as opposed to guess and check.

phoenixthoth said:
B&C implies B. Case 1. A <-> B. Therefore, A. Then as (AvE)->H, and we have A, we then have AvE; therefore H. Case 2.C ->D. Well B&C implies C. Therefore D. So we have D&C; therefore I. As we have I, we have IvJ and since (IvJ)->H, we have H. In both cases (which are all the cases), we have H.

I don't see the step here. Is 'therefore D' an assumption or a derivation?

In case two of the disjunction (line 2 of your tex), C ->D.

Either A<->B (case 1) or C->D (case 2). That is an assumption as it cannot be derived from B&C, which is also an assumption.

B&C implies C. This is a derivation not an assumption.

Therefore D. Where does this come from? We know that C->D is true by assumption. Then since C, we have D.

Now I'm suspecting the way you're supposed to use disjunction PvQ is to convert it tautologically to ~P->Q (or ~Q->P) and go from there. That would eliminate the cases business.

Sorry to be picky but you're just solving this and I don't know how to interpret what youve done in the general case, its kind of confusing trying to dismember all you've written.
All I am asking is what provisional assumptions should I make and why.

Assume things like
1. B can be derived from B&C
2. C can be derived from B&C
3. modus ponens: B can be derived from A & (A->B)
4. ~A can be derived from ~C & (A->C)
5. ~P->Q can be derived from PvQ.

Then, in addition, assume the first couple of lines in the problem.

Arent #1 and #2 not assumptions but derivations?
3. I think she wants as to assume a certain clause, then work from there. Then when you have p->q in the conclusion then usually assuming P is a good idea. do you have any tips on stuff like that?

whozum said:
Arent #1 and #2 not assumptions but derivations?
3. I think she wants as to assume a certain clause, then work from there. Then when you have p->q in the conclusion then usually assuming P is a good idea. do you have any tips on stuff like that?

You assume that certain derivations are valid.

I don't think she does because you don't need to assume any more than the given assumptions plus the automatic assumptions one makes.

If you want to prove Q, then you have to either have proved P->Q AND P
or
assumed P->Q and proved P
or
assumed P->Q and assumed P
etc.

Most likely, you will be PROVING P and assuming P->Q. That will derive Q.

Ok here's a proof we went through in class, which illustrates the point I am trying to make:

Argument:
I will name these the premises, incase there's a vocab conflict here:

[tex] (B [/tex] & [tex] J ) \leftrightarrow (A \rightarrow C) [/tex]
[tex] J \leftrightarrow (A v E) [/tex]

This is the conclusion:
Prove (A&B) -> (CvD)

The proof is as goes:

1) [tex] (B [/tex] & [tex] J ) \leftrightarrow (A \rightarrow C) [/tex] || Premise
2) [tex] J \leftrightarrow (A v E) [/tex] || Premise
3) B & J || Provisional Assumption
4) B || 3, & E
5) J || 3, & E
6) AvE || 2,5 [tex] \leftrightarrow [/tex] E
7) A || 6 vE
8) C || 1,7 [tex] \rightarrow [/tex] E
9) CvD || 8,v I
10) A & B || 7,4 &I
11) A & B [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] (C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]D) || 10,9 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] I
QED

Without the provisional assumption B&J, we couldn't have solved this, ofcourse there might be another assumption I could have made, but that's not my point. My point is how do I know to choose B&J?

1. What is the purpose of deriving conclusions with argument derivations?

The purpose of deriving conclusions with argument derivations is to analyze and evaluate the logical structure of an argument in order to determine whether the conclusion is supported by the premises. This process helps to ensure that the reasoning used in an argument is sound and valid.

2. What are the principles of sound reasoning?

The principles of sound reasoning include clarity, consistency, relevance, and sufficiency. Clarity refers to the use of clear and precise language, consistency means that the premises do not contradict each other, relevance means that the premises are related to the conclusion, and sufficiency means that the premises provide enough evidence to support the conclusion.

3. How do you derive a conclusion with argument derivations?

To derive a conclusion with argument derivations, you must first identify the premises and the conclusion of the argument. Then, you must analyze the logical structure of the argument using the principles of sound reasoning. This may involve identifying any fallacies or errors in the argument and determining whether the premises support the conclusion. Finally, you can use this analysis to draw a logical conclusion.

4. What is the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning?

Inductive reasoning involves using specific observations or examples to make a general conclusion, while deductive reasoning involves using general principles or facts to make a specific conclusion. Inductive reasoning is often used in scientific research, while deductive reasoning is commonly used in mathematics and logic.

5. How can using argument derivations improve critical thinking skills?

Using argument derivations can improve critical thinking skills by teaching individuals to analyze and evaluate arguments in a logical and systematic way. This can help individuals to identify and avoid common fallacies and to think critically about the relationships between premises and conclusions. Additionally, practicing argument derivations can help individuals to develop stronger reasoning and argumentation skills.