What are the rules for argument division in complex numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the argument of a complex number in polar form and the logarithmic rules. It is concluded that the argument function does not cancel out the other terms, but rather follows the properties of the exponential function. Additionally, it is mentioned that the argument of a product is equal to the sum of the arguments of the individual factors.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
This argument is equal to , arg(z1/z2) = arg(z1) - arg(z2) as said by exam solutions need help understanding why.
Relevant Equations
arg(z1/z2) = arg(z1)-arg(z2)

above video states that arg(z1/z2) = arg(z1) - arg(z2) this is seems very similar to Log rules but these are inverse function for angles right? And log rules only apply to logarithms, not sure where he got this from? What am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonbon22 said:
Homework Statement: This argument is equal to , arg(z1/z2) = arg(z1) - arg(z2) as said by exam solutions need help understanding why.
Homework Equations: arg(z1/z2) = arg(z1)-arg(z2)

above video states that arg(z1/z2) = arg(z1) - arg(z2) this is seems very similar to Log rules but these are inverse function for angles right? And log rules only apply to logarithms, not sure where he got this from? What am i missing?

Complex numbers can be expressed in polar form: ##z_1 = r_1e^{i\theta_1}, z_2 = r_2 e^{i\theta_2}##, where ##r## is the modulus and ##\theta## is the argument.

##z_1/z_2 = (r_1/r_2)e^{i(\theta_1 - \theta_2)}##

This uses the properties of the exponential function.

PeroK said:
Complex numbers can be expressed in polar form: ##z_1 = r_1e^{i\theta_1}, z_2 = r_2 e^{i\theta_2}##, where ##r## is the modulus and ##\theta## is the argument.

##z_1/z_2 = (r_1/r_2)e^{i(\theta_1 - \theta_2)}##

This uses the properties of the exponential function.
i see that makes sense does the argument function cancel out the (r_1/r_2)e^{i] so you are just left with theta 1 - theta 2?

bonbon22 said:
i see that makes sense does the argument function cancel out the (r_1/r_2)e^{i] so you are just left with theta 1 - theta 2?

The argument is the angle ##\theta## in that expression. I would't say there is any cancelling out, as such. Would you say the "hair colour" function cancels out the rest of your body and just leaves the hair colour?

Likes bonbon22
Also ## Arg(z \cdot w)= Argz+Argw -2k\pi ##
As PeroK wrote, if ##w = re^{it} \rightarrow 1/w= (1/r )e^{-it} ##. Edit: We must assume ## w \neq 0 ##.

Last edited:
Likes bonbon22

1. What is an argument division question?

An argument division question is a type of question that requires the respondent to divide or break down an argument into smaller components or elements. It is often used in academic or scientific research to analyze and understand complex arguments or theories.

2. How do you approach answering an argument division question?

The best approach to answering an argument division question is to carefully read and understand the argument being presented. Then, break down the argument into smaller parts, such as premises, evidence, and conclusions. Finally, analyze each part and explain how they contribute to the overall argument.

3. What is the purpose of using argument division questions?

The purpose of using argument division questions is to critically examine and understand complex arguments or theories. By breaking down an argument into smaller parts, it allows for a deeper analysis and evaluation of the argument's validity and soundness.

4. Can argument division questions be used in any subject or field?

Yes, argument division questions can be used in any subject or field that involves the use of arguments and critical thinking. They are commonly used in fields such as philosophy, law, and social sciences, but can also be applied in other areas such as literature and business.

5. Are there any tips for effectively answering argument division questions?

Some tips for effectively answering argument division questions include carefully reading and understanding the argument, breaking it down into smaller parts, providing clear and concise explanations for each part, and using evidence or examples to support your analysis. It is also important to stay objective and avoid personal biases when evaluating the argument.