Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Argument for the Existence of God

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    "Argument for the Existence of God"

I find this very interesting and humorous:

any thoughs?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2
    In that quote, he is simply arguing that the universe came to be during the big bang. Although not as widely accepted as it once was, it isn't at all unreasonable. Also I don't see anything about God in the quote.
  4. Nov 24, 2004 #3

Gold Member

Well, I certainly can't fault them for trying to inform people about what they apparently believe is the truth. However, I think their methods are reprehensible, their presentation is not an argument, and, while neither may be their fault entirely, as they deride others for giving "completely fabricated explanations" they should hold themselves to the same standard and not misrepresent their own knowledge, the positions of others, or facts of record or observation. It is a shame but nothing new.

By the way, does the following make any sense to anyone else? No, I didn't edit it; It is an entire line of reasoning.
    Happy thoughts,
  5. Nov 24, 2004 #4
    The ID arguments have lots of problems. The fine tuning arguments are mostly bogus. There is only a very tiny spot in space and time where life is possible. Take that as evidence that the universe was not "created for life". One generally finds that different places have different conditions. Thus there are many "trials" of physical variables making rare occurences quite likely.
    If you see problems that you can't solve try asking the right questions, not questions that appeal to some psychological problem.
  6. Nov 25, 2004 #5
    If it makes them happy thats all good but I think the word 'existence' is misleading and pointless.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?