When does the argument of a complex number follow the sum of angles formula?

In summary: Therefore, you can see that the right hand side is just the tangent of the sum of the arguments of z_1 and z_2. This means that the equation is true when the arguments of z_1 and z_2 are added together. In summary, the equation \arg\left(z_1 z_2\right) = \arg(z_1) + \arg(z_2) is true when the arguments of z_1 and z_2 are added together.
Snowfall
When is it true that [itex]\arg\left(z_1 z_2\right) = \arg(z_1) + \arg(z_2) [/itex]?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Snowfall said:
When is it true that [itex]\arg\left(z_1 z_2\right) = \arg(z_1) + \arg(z_2) [/itex]?

Why don't you just write out the equations for argument and solve them?

chiro said:
Why don't you just write out the equations for argument and solve them?
You mean like defining, for real numbers a, b, c, d,

[tex]z_{1} := ai+b, ~ z_{2} := ci+d[/tex]

then solving the following daunting looking equation:

[tex]\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{ad+bc}{bd-ac}\right) = \tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}+\tan^{-1}\frac{d}{c}.[/tex]

Please by all means show me how to solve that one! :eek:

Snowfall said:
You mean like defining, for real numbers a, b, c, d,

[tex]z_{1} := ai+b, ~ z_{2} := ci+d[/tex]

then solving the following daunting looking equation:

[tex]\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{ad+bc}{bd-ac}\right) = \tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}+\tan^{-1}\frac{d}{c}.[/tex]

Please by all means show me how to solve that one! :eek:

Divide num and denom by [itex]bd[/itex] and you get :

[tex]\tan(\arg(z_1 z_2)) = \frac{a/b+c/d}{1 - (a/b) \,\, (c/d)} = \frac{\tan(arg(z_1))+\tan(\arg(z_2))}{1 - \tan(\arg(z_1)) \tan(\arg(z_2))} = \tan(\arg(z_1) + \arg(z_2))[/tex]

However it's easier to use the exponential or polar form.

[tex]r_1 e^{i \phi_1} \, r_2 e^{i \phi_2} = r_1 \, r_2 \, e^{i(\phi_1 + \phi_2)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Since you have got inverse tangents, it's wise to take tangents to get rid of them. For the right hand side, you can consider the sum of angle formula for the tangent:
[tex]\tan(x+y)=\frac{\tan x+\tan y}{1-\tan x\tan y}[/tex]

1. What is an argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line joining the origin to the complex number on the complex plane. It is also referred to as the phase angle or the polar angle.

2. How is the argument of a complex number calculated?

The argument of a complex number can be calculated using the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the imaginary part divided by the real part of the complex number. This can also be represented using the formula arg(z) = tan-1(b/a), where z is the complex number a + bi.

3. What is the range of the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number lies between -π (exclusive) and π (inclusive). However, it is often represented as an angle between 0 and 2π in the polar coordinate system.

4. How is the argument of a complex number related to its modulus?

The argument of a complex number and its modulus (or absolute value) are related through the formula z = |z|cosθ + i|z|sinθ, where θ is the argument of the complex number. This formula is known as the polar form of a complex number.

5. What is the significance of the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is important in understanding the behavior and properties of complex numbers. It helps in visualizing complex numbers on the complex plane, finding roots of complex numbers, and solving equations involving complex numbers.