1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Argument of a complex number

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the given complex number in polar form first using an argument where theta is not equal
    to Arg(z)
    z=-7i
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] 7isin(\frac{-\pi}{2}+2\pi n) [/itex]
    The wierd part about this problem it asks me to not use the argument, The argument is the smallest angle of the complex number, So I added 2 pi to it, but it tells me im wrong on my web assign, the only other thing I can think of is taking out the generic n and just adding 2 pi to it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's not what I understand by polar form.

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3
    z=x+iy=rcos(x)+irsin(x), thats not polar form

5. Jan 22, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My mistake, I was thinking of the exponential form.
    It's not clear to me which specific variants you tried, like 7i sin(-π/2), 7i sin(3π/2).
    As far as I can make out, there is not universal agreement whether Arg is defined to be in the range (-π, π] or [0, 2π).

6. Jan 22, 2017 #5
    I tried 7isin(-pi/2) ,and the one with a generic 2*pi*n, I might have to wait till my teacher gets back to me on e-mail, because im not sure what my web assign is looking for, I might try 3*pi/2 and then add 2*pi to it, Just wanted to make sure I was interpreting it correctly . thanks for the replies

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted