What is the Argument of a Complex Expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for finding the argument of a complex number Z and addresses a potential error in the second method. The first method involves expressing Z in polar form, while the second method involves rationalizing the denominator and factoring out the modulus to find the argument. The conversation also mentions that the numerator in the first method should be 1-i*sqrt(3) instead of i-sqrt(3).
f(x)
Homework Statement
find the argument of-:
[tex]Z=\frac{\iota-\sqrt{3}}{\iota+\sqrt{3}} [/tex]Method 1

[tex]Z={2e^{\frac{- \iota \pi}{3}} \mbox{ divided by } {2e^{\frac{\iota \pi}{3}} [/tex]

[tex]Z=e^{\frac{-2 \iota \pi}{3}}[/tex]

Therefor arg(Z)=[tex] \ -\frac{2\pi}{3} [/tex]

Method 2

[tex]Z=\frac{4}{1+2\sqrt{3}\iota-3} [/tex]

[tex]Z=\frac{2}{-1+\sqrt{3}\iota} [/tex]

[tex] \mbox{arg}(Z)=0+\frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{\pi}{3} [/tex]

What am i getting wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the middle term in the denominator of the right side of the first line of Method 2 right?

And where did you get the last step,
[tex]\arg\left( \frac{2}{-1 + i \sqrt{3}} \right) [/tex]
anyway?

Here's another one: try multiplying top and bottom by the conjugate of the denominator, [itex]i - \sqrt{3}[/itex]. Then write the result as [itex]r e^{i \phi}[/itex] and read off [itex]\phi[/itex].
This method always works with fractions.

In your first method - note 2*exp(-i*pi/3)=1-i*sqrt(3). That's not the numerator that you want. Nor is the other one the denominator. How are you getting these? (PS put i's in the exponentials).

George Jones said:
Is the middle term in the denominator of the right side of the first line of Method 2 right?

Thats [tex] 2\times 1\times \iota , \mbox{the 2ab term in }(a+b)^2 [/tex]

CompuChip said:
And where did you get the last step,
[tex]\arg\left( \frac{2}{-1 + i \sqrt{3}} \right) [/tex]

I've rationalized, by multiplying numerator and denominator with i+sqrt(3) , and then divided by 2 ; although the standard practice is to remove i from denominator as you suggested.

Dick said:
In your first method - note 2*exp(-i*pi/3)=1-i*sqrt(3). That's not the numerator that you want. Nor is the other one the denominator. How are you getting these? (PS put i's in the exponentials).

Yeah sry about those missing i's..
I've expressed both as Re^(i.theta) form, (theta=arctan(b/a))
Sorry I am unclear as to what you mean by "not the numerator that you want
". Could you please explain ? Thx.

PS: I have a feeling that method 2 has a bug, but i can't find it :tongue:

f(x) said:
Thats [tex] 2\times 1\times \iota , \mbox{the 2ab term in }(a+b)^2 [/tex]

Did you forget a minus sign?

Sorry I am unclear as to what you mean by "not the numerator that you want
". Could you please explain ? Thx.

You need to factor out the r before finding the argument.

I meant that 2*exp(-i*pi/3)=1-i*sqrt(3) which is what I said. Maybe I didn't explicitly point out that the numerator of your fraction is i-sqrt(3), which is NOT the same thing.

oh sorry , i mixed up the questions...i get it
Thank you and sorry about this :blushing:

1. What is the definition of "argument of complex expression"?

The argument of a complex expression is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane. It is denoted by arg(z) and is measured in radians.

2. How is the argument of a complex expression calculated?

The argument of a complex expression can be calculated using the inverse tangent function. Specifically, arg(z) = tan-1(b/a), where a is the real component and b is the imaginary component of the complex number.

3. What is the range of possible values for the argument of a complex expression?

The range of possible values for the argument of a complex expression is between -π and π, or -180° and 180°. This is due to the periodic nature of the tangent function, which repeats every 180°.

4. Can the argument of a complex expression be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex expression can be negative. This occurs when the complex number lies in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the angle is measured clockwise from the positive real axis.

5. How is the argument of a complex expression used in mathematics and science?

The argument of a complex expression is used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, such as in polar coordinates, solving differential equations, and analyzing signals in electrical engineering. It is also a key concept in understanding the behavior of complex numbers and their geometric representation in the complex plane.