Arildno, can you help me with a fluid mechanics question?

In summary, the "g" in the equation P = P*sub*atm + pgh refers to the gravitational acceleration experienced by the fluid (9.81 m/s^2 towards the ground). In the equation F*sub*b = pVg, the "V" most likely stands for volume, while the "p" represents density. This equation is used in fluid mechanics to calculate the buoyancy force. It is important to note that this topic belongs in Introductory Physics rather than precalc math. It is also advised to not refer to specific members in titles.
Bk8907
In the equation

P = P *sub*atm + pgh

what is the "g"?

gravity due to earth??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is the gravitational acceleration experienced by the fluid (9.81 m/s^2 towards the ground).

Last edited:
THANK YOU SOO MUCH!
now i can finish my problem.

one more though...

in this equation for fluid mechanics...

F*sub*b = pVg

Is the V for volume? becuase I'm given the dimensions of a box floating on water and I have to figure out how much of it is under water

Having not done fluid mechanics the [itex]F_b[/itex] may indicate to me the buoyancy or something? Maybe V is viscosity?

Is your p for momentum, or really a rho, for density? if so, the RHS of your equation can become mg, if v is volume.

But yea, really, this should be in Introductory Physics or something, not precalc math. And why does your title refer to arildno, he's not the only person who tries to help you know :P

V is most likely volume, so that Fb is the buoyancy force.
In the future, please do not refer to specific members in your title.

1. How can I calculate the pressure drop in a pipe using fluid mechanics?

The pressure drop in a pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation:
ΔP = f * (L/D) * (ρ * V^2)/2
Where f is the friction factor, L is the length of the pipe, D is the diameter of the pipe, ρ is the density of the fluid, and V is the velocity of the fluid.

2. Can you explain the concept of viscosity in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is caused by the internal friction between molecules in the fluid. Higher viscosity fluids have a thicker consistency and flow more slowly, while lower viscosity fluids are thinner and flow more easily. It is an important factor in determining the behavior of fluids in various systems.

3. How do I calculate the Reynolds number in a fluid mechanics problem?

The Reynolds number is calculated as:
Re = (ρ * V * D)/μ
Where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the fluid, D is the characteristic length (such as diameter of a pipe), and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid. This number is used to determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) in a system.

4. What is the Bernoulli's equation and how is it used in fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the total energy of a fluid in a system is constant. It can be expressed as:
P + (ρ * V^2)/2 + ρgh = constant
Where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid. This equation is commonly used to analyze flow in pipes and other systems.

5. Can you explain the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of a fluid, with layers of the fluid moving parallel to each other. It occurs at low velocities and is characterized by a low Reynolds number. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is chaotic and irregular, with the fluid moving in random patterns and eddies. It occurs at higher velocities and is characterized by a high Reynolds number. The transition from laminar to turbulent flow is known as the Reynolds number threshold.