1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Aristotle's Book Recommendation

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    I have started a project to learn Physics by understanding its intellectual evolution, instead of directly jumping into the Physics generalities/paradigms/theories described in textbooks. Now I started reading Rene Dugas' History of Mechanics book, which starts with Aristotle as the starting point. I started searching Aristotle's books on Physics, there is one book. I want a modern reflection on it or commentary on it, there are many commentary books, I am not able to know the best one. The purpose of going for commentary instead of the original is because to hear from an expert on the situation. If a proper book to understand Aristotle in the field of Physics is suggested, I will be really happy.

By doing this I am trying to see how theory is built from raw observations. Any advice will also be most helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, I don't know a specific book on the topic but recently in ''To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science'', Steven Weinberg examined the Aristotle Physics in a critic way ...

Ssnow

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3
    Mathematics and the Physical World by Morris Kline is nice book. Talks about how the demands of physics led to developments in mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted