1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arithmetic accuracy help

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    I need help making my basic arithmetic more accurate. [eg. 2*2=4]
    If anyone has any suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried some online games but they don't help very much. Is it really just practice practice practice?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2
    Yes, practice makes perfect.

I barely understood the rules of exponents, fractions, logarithms, etc. till after I took Calculus and realized how important it is.

I studied a lot afterwards and now I know and understand all the basic rules. Takes time, work as many problems as you can! And see how many ways you can solve a problem. It stills makes me laugh how a problem can be solved so many different ways.

4. Dec 18, 2007 #3
    I had a feeling there is no other way besides practice. Time to get out those old Mad Minute sheets.........

5. Dec 18, 2007 #4
    Lol, what are those?

If it makes you feel any better, I still suck at adding/subtracting. Idk why, but I just can't get good at it.

6. Dec 18, 2007 #5
    Mad Minute is basically 60 problems of multiplication addition subtraction and division and you have to complete it accurately in 60 seconds. A problem a second! Ehh, I am the same, its hurting my test scores when I put 7*8=64 completely on accident!

7. Dec 18, 2007 #6
    Well at least you're off the hook when multiplying 9 by some number from 1-9 :p

8. Dec 18, 2007 #7
    lol. Actually, 1+1 can actually not equal 2. I read that somewhere...

Anyway, anyone have any other suggestions for arithmetic accuracy?

9. Dec 18, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

If you have a mobile phone that supports Java games, The game called "Brain Juice" is a game that improves your Mental Skills in general, not just Arithmetic. Of course, if you want to concentrate on Arithmetic you can choose to only do that exercise. You can download it for free from mobile24.com. Just register a free account and search "Brain Juice".

10. Dec 18, 2007 #9
    Unfortunanetly, I do not own a mobile phone. Thanks for your help anyway.

11. Dec 20, 2007 #10
    Nintendo DS offers Brain Age and Brain Age 2 which are pretty fun and good practice sessions :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?