Find Lowest Value for A: a1, a2, a3 & 4 | Arithmetic Progression

In summary, the conversation discusses the values of d for which the arithmetic progression of a1, a2, a3 and 4 will result in the lowest value for A = a1a2 + a2a3 + a3a1. The conversation suggests using the fourth term in the progression to simplify A into a quadratic equation in one variable, making it easier to solve for the lowest value of A.
mitaka90
a1, a2, a3 and 4 make an arithmetic progression with difference d. For which values of d, A = a1a2 + a2a3 + a3a1 has the lowest value?I don't know if I went with the right approach, but I managed to get this : A=3x2 +6xd + 2d2 for a1= x, a2 = x + d, etc... But I don't know what else to do.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mitaka90 said:
a1, a2, a3 and 4 make an arithmetic progression with difference d. For which values of d, A = a1a2 + a2a3 + a3a1 has the lowest value?I don't know if I went with the right approach, but I managed to get this : A=3x2 +6xd + 2d2 for a1= x, a2 = x + d, etc... But I don't know what else to do.
Hi mitaka90!

It seems to me you haven't made good use of the given fourth term in that arithmetic progression...:) the fourth term would help you to simplify your $A$ in terms of only one variable and when you have the quadratic equation in terms of one variable, I believe you could handle from there...

anemone said:
Hi mitaka90!

It seems to me you haven't made good use of the given fourth term in that arithmetic progression...:) the fourth term would help you to simplify your $A$ in terms of only one variable and when you have the quadratic equation in terms of one variable, I believe you could handle from there...

Omg, I'm such a moron. I hate it when I do the hard work and then the easiest and most noticable thing just slips from my sight. Thank you sincerely, I guess that little tip is what I needed.

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. For example, the sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 is an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 3.

2. How do I find the lowest value for A in an arithmetic progression?

To find the lowest value for A in an arithmetic progression, you need to know the common difference and at least one term in the sequence. Then, you can use the formula A = a1 - (n-1)d, where A is the lowest value, a1 is the first term, n is the number of terms, and d is the common difference.

3. Can an arithmetic progression have a negative common difference?

Yes, an arithmetic progression can have a negative common difference. This means that the sequence will decrease by a fixed amount each time.

4. What if I only know the first and last term in an arithmetic progression?

If you only know the first and last term in an arithmetic progression, you can find the common difference by subtracting the first term from the last term. Then, you can use the formula A = a1 - (n-1)d to find the lowest value for A.

5. Can I use the same formula to find the lowest value for A in a non-linear progression?

No, the formula A = a1 - (n-1)d only applies to arithmetic progressions. For other types of progressions, such as geometric or quadratic progressions, different formulas will need to be used to find the lowest value for A.