Proofing My "Arithmetic?" Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical proof involving an array of positive integers and a prime number. The speaker asks for a review of their work and if there is an easier way to prove it. They also mention generalizing the proof and discuss the role of alpha, which does not have to be prime. The conversation ends with the speaker stating their confidence in the proof and giving an example using a number system.
mafagafo
This is a self-assigned question. Not homework.

I may have the right answer, but would like some reviewing. It came to me while reading on a CS topic, this did not come from a math textbook, otherwise it would be slightly more in context.

I did not use any formula (so 2 would be empty) and 1 and 3 are in a PDF here.

1. Is my work correct?
2. Is there an easier way to prove it?
3. What exactly is this? I called it an "'Arithmetic?' proof", but I don't think that this would be its name.

Attachments

• Proof.pdf
    310.8 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right, and fairly straightforward. I doubt there's an easier way.
How about generalising it?

Dream case scenario I would get that
[tex]\text{Given that } S \text{ is an array of } m \text{ small nonnegative integers and } \alpha \text{ is a prime larger than the largest integer in } S[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{m-1}\left(\alpha^{m-(i+1)}\times S_{1_i} \right) \ne \sum_{i=0}^{m-1}\left(\alpha^{m-(i+1)}\times S_{2_i}\right) \forall S_1 \ne S_2[/tex]
Obs.: for convenience, S is zero-based (lame math).

I think that this is going to the bottom of my TODO list.

Well, that is clearly true.
Alpha doesn't even need to be prime for that to be the case. It just has to be larger than the largest integer in either S1 or S2.
Think about alpha = 10 and our number system where S is the index set of digits from 0 to 9. No two numbers are the same unless they have the same digits becuase 10 is bigger than the largest member of the index set.

1. How can I prove my arithmetic calculations are correct?

One way to prove your arithmetic calculations is by using the mathematical concept of induction. This involves proving that a statement holds true for a specific case, and then showing that it also holds true for the next case, and so on. If the statement holds true for all cases, then your arithmetic calculations can be considered correct.

2. Is there a specific method for proofing arithmetic calculations?

Yes, there are various methods for proofing arithmetic calculations, such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Each method has its own steps and requirements, so it is important to choose the method that best suits the type of arithmetic calculation you are trying to prove.

3. Can I use proofing techniques to check my arithmetic calculations?

Absolutely! By using proofing techniques, you can check the validity and accuracy of your arithmetic calculations. This can help you catch any errors or mistakes you may have made, and ensure that your calculations are correct.

4. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when proofing arithmetic calculations?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when proofing arithmetic calculations include incorrect use of mathematical rules, incorrect order of operations, and incorrect application of formulas. It is also important to check for any errors in your calculations, such as typos or misplaced decimal points.

5. Can proofing my arithmetic calculations be helpful in my scientific research?

Yes, proofing your arithmetic calculations can be very helpful in scientific research. It ensures that your data and results are accurate and reliable, which is crucial in the scientific community. By using proofing techniques, you can also identify any errors or inconsistencies in your calculations, which can lead to further insights and improvements in your research.