Arithmetic Sequence Homework: Find the Sum

In that case, your formula should be correct. Great job on part (i) by the way!In summary, the conversation discusses solving arithmetic progressions and double arithmetic progressions, as well as finding the sum of terms in a factorial progression. The conversation also mentions the use of standard arithmetic progression formulas and solving for an explicit formula for bn.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is taken from STEP I 1990, Q4.

(i) The sequence a1, a2, ..., an, ... forms an arithmetic progression. Establish a formula, involving n, a1, and a2, for the sum of the first n terms.

(ii) A sequence b1, b2, ..., bn, ... is called a double arithmetic progression if the sequence of differences, b2 - b1, b3 - b2, ..., bn+1 - bn, ... is an arithmetic progression. Establish a formula, involving n, b1, b2 and b3, for the sum b1 + b2 + ... + bn of the first n terms of such a progression.

(iii) A sequence c1, c2, ..., cn, ... is called a factorial progression if cn+1 - cn = n!d, for some non-zero d and every n ≥ 1. Suppose 1, b2, b3, ... is a double arithmetic progression, and also that b2, b4, b6 and 220 are the first four terms in a factorial progression. Find the sum 1 + b1 + b2 + ... + bn.

Homework Equations

Standard arithmetic progression formulae below

The nth term of an AP: un = a + (n-1)d
The sum of the first n terms of an AP: Sn = (n/2)(a + l) = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done (i) quite comfortably and got

[tex]\frac{n}{2}((3-n)a_{1} + (n-1)a_{2})[/tex]

However, (ii) is where I get stuck. By considering the sequence of differences, I've established that

[tex]b_n = a + (n-2)d + b_{n-1}[/tex]

with a = b2 - b1, and d = (b3 - b2) - (b2 - b1). Can anyone guide me on where to go next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
I've done (i) quite comfortably and got

[tex]\frac{n}{2}((3-n)a_{1} + (n-1)a_{2})[/tex]
With n=2, I get a1+a2, but the result should be a2.

Can anyone guide me on where to go next?
An explicit formula for bn could be useful. In your formula, you can express bn-1 in terms of bn-2 and so on, until you reach b1.

mfb said:
With n=2, I get a1+a2, but the result should be a2.

Why? We were looking for the sum of the first n terms. With n = 2, that is a1 + a2.

An explicit formula for bn could be useful. In your formula, you can express bn-1 in terms of bn-2 and so on, until you reach b1.

Ah I see, thanks. I will try this and reply if I get the correct result.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Why? We were looking for the sum of the first n terms. With n = 2, that is a1 + a2.
Yes, you were correct, FeDeX_LaTeX .

Oh sorry, I did not see that (a) should be a sum of the first n terms as well.

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a list of numbers where the difference between each consecutive term is constant. In other words, each term in the sequence is obtained by adding a fixed number, called the common difference, to the previous term.

2. How do I find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence?

To find the common difference, simply subtract any term in the sequence from the term that comes directly after it. This will give you the same number for each subtraction, which is the common difference.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic sequence is: S = n/2(2a + (n-1)d), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms in the sequence, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the sum of an arithmetic sequence. Most scientific calculators have a function specifically for calculating the sum of a sequence, which will save you time and reduce the risk of making a calculation error.

5. Do I need to know the common difference to find the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

Yes, you do need to know the common difference in order to find the sum of an arithmetic sequence. The common difference is a crucial component of the formula for finding the sum, and without it, you will not be able to accurately calculate the sum.