1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arithmetic Sequence

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is taken from STEP I 1990, Q4.

(i) The sequence a1, a2, ..., an, ... forms an arithmetic progression. Establish a formula, involving n, a1, and a2, for the sum of the first n terms.

(ii) A sequence b1, b2, ..., bn, ... is called a double arithmetic progression if the sequence of differences, b2 - b1, b3 - b2, ..., bn+1 - bn, ... is an arithmetic progression. Establish a formula, involving n, b1, b2 and b3, for the sum b1 + b2 + ... + bn of the first n terms of such a progression.

(iii) A sequence c1, c2, ..., cn, ... is called a factorial progression if cn+1 - cn = n!d, for some non-zero d and every n ≥ 1. Suppose 1, b2, b3, ... is a double arithmetic progression, and also that b2, b4, b6 and 220 are the first four terms in a factorial progression. Find the sum 1 + b1 + b2 + ... + bn.

2. Relevant equations

Standard arithmetic progression formulae below

The nth term of an AP: un = a + (n-1)d
    The sum of the first n terms of an AP: Sn = (n/2)(a + l) = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done (i) quite comfortably and got

[tex]\frac{n}{2}((3-n)a_{1} + (n-1)a_{2})[/tex]

However, (ii) is where I get stuck. By considering the sequence of differences, I've established that

[tex]b_n = a + (n-2)d + b_{n-1}[/tex]

with a = b2 - b1, and d = (b3 - b2) - (b2 - b1). Can anyone guide me on where to go next?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

With n=2, I get a1+a2, but the result should be a2.

An explicit formula for bn could be useful. In your formula, you can express bn-1 in terms of bn-2 and so on, until you reach b1.

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Why? We were looking for the sum of the first n terms. With n = 2, that is a1 + a2.

Ah I see, thanks. I will try this and reply if I get the correct result.

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you were correct, FeDeX_LaTeX .

6. Apr 4, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Oh sorry, I did not see that (a) should be a sum of the first n terms as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted