Divisibility of Terms in an Arithmetic Series

In summary, the arithmetic series given has 241 terms and each term can be represented by $5+9n$, where $n$ ranges from 0 to 240. To find the number of terms divisible by 5, we can see that $n$ must be divisible by 5 for the term to be divisible by 5. Therefore, the total number of terms divisible by 5 is 49.
mathdad
Arithmetic Series?
Given the arithmetic series 5+14+23+...(to 241 terms), how many terms in the series are divisible by 5?

I need a good explanation and a good start.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Arithmetic Series?
Given the arithmetic series 5+14+23+...(to 241 terms), how many terms in the series are divisible by 5?

241 terms is a lot of terms. Let's simplify the problem to, say, 1 term. How many are divisible by 5?
How about if we have 2 terms?
Or 3, 4, 5, 6, 7?
Can we discern a pattern? (Wondering)

RTCNTC said:
Arithmetic Series?

the nth term of an arithmetic series is $a_n = a_1+(n-1) \cdot d$, where $a_1$ is the 1st term and $d$ is the common difference between each consecutive term.

for the given series, $a_n = 5+(n-1) \cdot 9$

if $a_n$ is divisible by $5$, what does that say about the value of $(n-1)$ ?

skeeter said:
the nth term of an arithmetic series is $a_n = a_1+(n-1) \cdot d$, where $a_1$ is the 1st term and $d$ is the common difference between each consecutive term.

for the given series, $a_n = 5+(n-1) \cdot 9$

if $a_n$ is divisible by $5$, what does that say about the value of $(n-1)$ ?

I do not understand your question.

Each term in the series can be represented by $5+9n,\,0\le n\le240$. In order for a term to be divisible by $5$, $n$ must be divisible by $5$. Hence the number of terms divisible by $5$ must be $\frac{240}{5}+1=49$.

Thank you everyone. Sorry that I could not show much work in this reply.

1. What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where the difference between each consecutive term is constant. This constant difference is known as the common difference, and it is typically denoted by the letter d.

2. How do you find the sum of an arithmetic series?

The sum of an arithmetic series can be found using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms in the series, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

3. Can an arithmetic series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, an arithmetic series can have an infinite number of terms if the common difference is a non-zero rational number. In this case, the series will either approach a finite sum or diverge to infinity.

4. What is the relationship between an arithmetic series and an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic series is the sum of an arithmetic progression. An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between each consecutive term is constant, while an arithmetic series is the sum of all the terms in an arithmetic progression.

5. How can arithmetic series be applied in real life?

Arithmetic series can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of a recurring expense, finding the average speed of a moving object, or determining the total distance traveled by an object in a given time period.