Sum of Finite Arithmetic Series: Formula & Examples

Is that what you wanted?In summary, the formula for determining the sum of a finite arithmetic series is S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where a represents the first term, d represents the common difference between terms, and n represents the number of terms in the series. The average of all numbers in an arithmetic series is also the average of the first and last terms.
luigihs
1. Write out in full and determine the sum of the finite arithmetic series

r = 9
Ʃ 5r 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40 <-- until 9
r=1

But how do I determine the sum of the finite arithmetic series? I forget the formula :/

Physics news on Phys.org
luigihs said:
1. Write out in full and determine the sum of the finite arithmetic series

r = 9
Ʃ 5r 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40 <-- until 9
r=1

But how do I determine the sum of the finite arithmetic series? I forget the formula :/

It's not too hard to find out the formula for yourself!

Start with some general arithmetic series starting with the value 'a' and each successive term has a difference 'd'.

So our summation would go like this:

[tex]S=a + (a+d) + (a+2d) +(a+3d)+ ... + (a+(n-1)d)[/tex] which is a total of n terms.

Now let's look at the same summation, but this time we begin with the last term first, the second last goes second, etc.

[tex]S=(a+(n-1)d)+(a+(n-2)d)+...+(a+d)+a[/tex]

And now let's add both these summations together. The first adjacent terms will be [itex]a+(a+(n-1)d)=2a+(n-1)d[/itex], the second will be [itex](a+d)+(a+(n-2)d)=2a+(n-1)d[/itex] and consequently every sum of each two adjacent terms will add up to this, so what we end up with is:

[tex]2S=(2a+(n-1)d)+(2a+(n-1)d)+...+(2a+(n-1)d)[/tex] which has a total of n terms, so we can simplify it into

[tex]2S=n(2a+(n-1)d)[/tex]

[tex]S=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a+(n-1)d\right)[/tex]

Which is the formula you're looking for.

A crucial point about arithmetic series is that the average of all numbers in an arthmetic series is the same as the average of the first and last terms.

Here the first term is 5(1)= 5 and the last term is 5(9)= 45 (I don't know why you stopped the series in your post at 40) so the average term is (5+ 45)/2= 50/2= 25.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the formula for finding the sum of a finite arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of a finite arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where n is the number of terms in the series, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

Can this formula be applied to all arithmetic series?

Yes, this formula can be applied to all arithmetic series, regardless of the starting term or the common difference between terms.

How can I use this formula to find the sum of a series with a given number of terms?

To use this formula, you will need to know the number of terms in the series, as well as the first and last terms. Substitute these values into the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an) and solve for the sum, Sn.

Are there any other methods for finding the sum of a finite arithmetic series?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a formula for the sum of the first n natural numbers, or using a calculator or spreadsheet to calculate the sum. However, the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an) is the most efficient and accurate method.

Can this formula be used for infinite arithmetic series?

No, this formula is only applicable for finite arithmetic series, meaning series with a fixed number of terms. For infinite series, a different formula or method must be used to find the sum.