Master Arithmetic with Comprehensive Tables

• Thread starter *Jas*
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, Arithmetic tables are used for multiplication and the squares on the diagonal represent a special property. The conversation also discusses using modular arithmetic and the challenges of finding integer roots in a polynomial equation.
*Jas*
Arithmetic tables...?!?

:confused:
Any help would be v much appreciated!

Attachments

• congruence.jpg
    congruence.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking what those tables are? How to read them? How to answer that question in picture?

The tables work like ordinary multiplication tables -- choose the row & column of the numbers you're multiplying, then their intersection has the product.

Hint on the questions: the squares are on the diagonal of the multiplication table.

CRGreathouse said:
The tables work like ordinary multiplication tables -- choose the row & column of the numbers you're multiplying, then their intersection has the product.

Hint on the questions: the squares are on the diagonal of the multiplication table.

What if x is greater then 6 though?

x^2=3+n*7

Aside from trying every possible value of n I'm not sure how to prove n can't be an integer.

John Creighto said:
What if x is greater then 6 though?

x^2=3+n*7

Aside from trying every possible value of n I'm not sure how to prove n can't be an integer.

How can x be greater than 6?

CRGreathouse said:

Has math changed so much since I was a boy?

Since when does 6+6 = 5?
Since when does 6x6 = 1?

It looks like there's some sort of modulo going on.

DaveC426913 said:
Has math changed so much since I was a boy?

Since when does 6+6 = 5?
Since when does 6x6 = 1?

It looks like there's some sort of modulo going on.

Yes. The subscript on the Z means it's modulo 7 arithmetic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

That is why I wrote:
x^2=3+n*7

So x could be greater then 6 for a suitably large choice of n but I don't know if it can be an integer.

So I had some thoughts of n greater then 6. In general any number can be written in modula 7 via the division algorithm
x=r+nq

So if we square x we get:
(r+nq)^2=r^2+2rnq+n^2q^2
Which is equal to 3. Therefore:
r^2+2rnq+n^2q^2=3
rearranging we get:
q^2n^2+2rqn+(r^2-3)=0

Now, perhaps someone who knows something of group theory can tell me under what conditions the above polynomial of n, will have integer roots. If we know that condition are we easily able to choose an r and a q that will satisfy this condition?

Last edited:

What is "Master Arithmetic with Comprehensive Tables"?

"Master Arithmetic with Comprehensive Tables" is a comprehensive guidebook that covers all the necessary topics and techniques for mastering arithmetic. It includes detailed explanations, step-by-step examples, and practice problems to help improve arithmetic skills.

Who is this book intended for?

This book is intended for anyone who wants to improve their arithmetic skills, whether it be students, teachers, or anyone else interested in mastering arithmetic. It is suitable for all ages and skill levels.

What topics does this book cover?

This book covers a wide range of topics in arithmetic, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, percentages, and more. It also includes techniques for mental math and strategies for problem-solving.

Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

There are no specific prerequisites for using this book. However, it is recommended that the reader has a basic understanding of arithmetic concepts and operations.

How can this book benefit me?

This book can benefit you in many ways, such as improving your arithmetic skills, increasing your speed and accuracy in calculations, and boosting your confidence in solving math problems. It can also serve as a valuable reference for future math courses or exams.