Has anyone been to ASU's EE grad school recruitment day?

In summary, the school is paying for all of my travel expenses and I am really looking forward to going.
leright
I applied there in December (for a Phd in EE) and they sent me an email inviting me to visit during their engineering grad school recruitment day. They are paying for all air fare, meals, and hotel costs. I am really looking forward to going. I'll get the chance to meet the engineering dean, department chair, and profs that are working in my area of interest (and that could potentially end up being my research adviser).

They have good professors in my area of interest (organic semiconductor devices) and it looks like a cool school...and the weather is nice. Plus (not that this is really that important), it is ranked pretty well (#26 in the country for EE).

The event is on Feb 29th and March 1st. I would arrive on the 28th and I would leave on the 2nd.

So, has anyone been to ASU's campus? If so, what are your opinions? I assume there is a really good chance that I will be admitted since they are paying for all travel expenses. Hopefully I will have an offer for admission at the event. Also, I hope TA/RA and fellowship arrangements will be made at the event.

I am surprised I have been given an offer (sort of) this early in the admissions process. I don't expect to hear from the other schools until the end of Feb or beginning of March.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ha ha, party school (or is that NAU) anyways, that's sweet that they are doing that. They must really want you to go to their school. Good luck

binzing said:
Ha ha, party school (or is that NAU) anyways, that's sweet that they are doing that. They must really want you to go to their school. Good luck

yeah yeah yea...they have that reputation. I am sure their grad students are not a bunch of hardcore partiers though. :)

Yeah, well we (New Mexico) have New Mexico Tech, which just a few years ago had a prank consisting of a toilet painted bright green put atop the clock tower. Presumably by engineering students.

Nice weather? Are you kidding?

(from someone planning to get out of Phoenix as soon as he can)

maybe he likes hot? hah

OK, so I asked them when I would know the status of my admission. They said I would know whether I am admitted 2 weeks before the recruiting event. This doesn't make any sense to me. Could they deny me admission, even though they have already invited me to their recruiting event? It seems like they would tell me if I am admitted during or after the recruiting event. I assume that the invitation was really an informal acceptance and the formal acceptance will be coming later. Can someone clarify this for me? Is it typical for grad schools to do this?

The next hurdle is to get decent funding through a TA/RA position (or maybe even a fellowship?) I will be interviewing for funding during the recruiting event.

I have spoken to the professor I want to work for. He said he does hire EE grad students and apparently he has positions open. He seems to be supporting my admission. He is a professor at ASU's Flexible Display Center. This is where I would be working on my research. http://flexdisplay.asu.edu/

1. What is the location of Arizona State University?

Arizona State University is located in Tempe, Arizona, with additional campuses in downtown Phoenix, Mesa, and Glendale.

2. How many students attend Arizona State University?

As of the Fall 2020 semester, Arizona State University has a total enrollment of over 74,000 students.

3. What are the most popular majors at Arizona State University?

The top five most popular majors at Arizona State University are Business, Engineering, Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, and Communication and Media Studies.

4. Does Arizona State University have any notable alumni?

Yes, Arizona State University has many notable alumni, including former US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, journalist and TV host Anderson Cooper, and Olympic gold medalist swimmer Amy Van Dyken.

5. Does Arizona State University have any research opportunities?

Yes, Arizona State University is a leading research institution with over 400 research centers, institutes, and initiatives. Students have numerous opportunities to participate in research projects with faculty and gain hands-on experience in their field of study.