1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ARMA model

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    Is the following ARMA (2,1) model stationary?

xt + 1/6xt-1 – 1/3xt-2 = εt + 0.7εt-1

Inorder to know if a model is stationary. we check the mean, variance and the covariance and check whether it is dependent on time.

Obviously the mean is zero but my problem is how do i carry out the variance can i combine AR and MA together or do i do it separately?

and another problem is what does E[(xt-1)^2] gives me? I know E [(εt)^2] gives σ^2.

Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not specialized in ARMA, so I may be missing something when I ask "how is the mean obviously zero"?

4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    Well I should have said this earlier.

The time series is a random Gaussian noise so Zt is independent and identically distributed. hence E[Zt] = 0 --> which is the expectation(mean) and E[(Zt)^2] = σ^2 --> expectation variance.

To answer your question the expectation of each term in the equation is 0.
    e.g 1/3E[xt-2] = 0
    since we assume the process is stationary then E[xt-1] = E[xt] and so E[xt] α E[Zt] = 0

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  5. Nov 2, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How are Z and x related?

If E [ε{t}^2] = σ^2, can't you solve E[(x{t})^2] = E[(-1/6x{t-1} + 1/3x{t-2} + ε{t} + 0.7ε{t-1})^2] if you assume E[(x{t})^2] = E[(x{t-s})^2] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?