Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Armageddon outta here

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    Is anyone else totally obsessed with Armageddon? I am. Roll on, post-apocolyptic nightmare. In my arrogance, I can't imagine a world without me in it, and I would hate for my life to be anything less than ultimate. And I really don't want to miss it. Anyone else?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2
    OMG! I can't beleive someone feels just like I do!! This is really strange. Yes, ever since I saw Revelations I've been very interested in it. I mean, if you chooose any time in the history of the world that matches what the bible predicts for armegeddon, we are Living in it! It's only going to get worse, and somehow...I'm looking forward to it. Does that make me a sick, psychopathic weirdo? :uhh:

4. May 24, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you relish the thought that others not sharing your faith are to be submitted to unending torture, then yes, you are a psychopath.

Please note that I do not assume you fall into that group of psycho's; I hope you don't

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  5. May 24, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

People have been saying that for the last 2,000 years. :tongue:

6. May 24, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this gets to the core of the matter. In a similar fashion, by my own observations it seems that as people grow old they tend to expect the worst for the human race. My thought was that this is a natural response to our mortality. It is just too painful for many to imagine a world going along happily without them. By the same token, as suggested, this may be what drives people to expectations of armageddon. Do most people harbor a dark desire for the entire planet to die with them?

But then again the world will one day end. So in a roundabout way I guess this whole psychology could be like hoping to win the lottery. :biggrin:

7. May 24, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I tend to think about such things a fair bit too, but i think thats just because I'm a natural worrier.

8. May 25, 2005 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

Women fantasize about their husbands dying... :uhh: Here's an entertaining link about the end of the world:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/endofworld.html

9. May 25, 2005 #8
    Now I'm not sure if it was something you posted or something I read elsewhere that proposed the idea that every generation experiences this in some fashion or another due to egocentrism. Not that long ago I did read an essay debunking end time myths so I'm not really sure.

10. May 25, 2005 #9

Mk

Yeah! Just check
    this out!

11. May 25, 2005 #10

I strongly suggest that you get out more.... and perhaps become a little less self absorbed?

12. May 25, 2005 #11

Mk

Though it is good thy vies for an ultimate life to be remembered forever, surely not infamously.

13. May 25, 2005 #12
    I don't know....i just want something EXCITING to happen, ya know.....not that it has to be bad or anything...just something exciting...

14. May 25, 2005 #13
    If you want excitement to happen, MAKE it happen!!
    Go parachuting
    Race motorcycles
    Pack-back round the world
    Set up a band
    Change jobs
    Move town/country
    Foster a child

Life is a fantastic one-off experience - how exciting is life compared to not living?

Don't waste it dreaming - you are a long time dead!

15. May 25, 2005 #14
    I have to agree with Adrian on this one. If you want something good-exciting to happen I think you're going to have to make it happen totallyclueless. Bad-exciting happens quite enough on it's own, and I'm inclined to think Armageddon would fall into the latter catagory (especially for anyone left behind). I've had several bad-exciting events in the short 35 years I've been on this planet (be careful what you wish for) and I'd rather make my own excitement now thank you. I'll be a new dad in about 8 weeks :biggrin: and I think that'll be quite some excitement for me (for about the next 18 years :rofl: )

16. May 25, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

That's bloody hilarious, and the voice just amplifies that. :rofl:

Provoke Moonbear...

17. May 25, 2005 #16
    Ooooooh! That was a little harsh. And quite unnecessary I thought. I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, though the part about not wanting to miss it was true.

I love pretending that the end of the world is nigh, like when the weather is all epic, or when you walk around the streets on Boxing Day or January 1st and no one is around, or when those objective moments hit you and everything seems really surreal. Maybe it's cos everything seems so inane and pointless, things like shopping and working and gossiping and yadda yadda yadda. I know that there's a hell of a lot of exciting things to do and learn and see and I by no means ignore any of that, I think it's just that the 'end of the world' is like the ultimate in change and excitement, and that's why it's so appealing. Not in a realistic way, just in my imagination.

BTW, I've just realised that I didn't make myself very clear when I used the term Armageddon. I didn't mean the Revelationsy, whore of Babylon, carve 666 into my forehead and call me a minion of Satan Armageddon, I meant the huge comet hits the earth, polar ice caps melt and world is covered with water, Earth suddenly swings out of orbit and drifts of into space, post-war nuclear wasteland kind of thing.

18. May 25, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Naw... the end of the universe is the ultimate in change and excitement. The end of the world is just a warm-up act. :tongue:

19. May 25, 2005 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ah, you mean real catastrophes. :tongue:

20. May 26, 2005 #19
    Maybe, but too many 'end-of-the-world' fantasists who can't cope with the banality of their own life, or their insignificant existence seem to have a propensity for machine gunning classmates down, forming cults that end in suicide, or becoming meglomaniac leaders who lead 'their people' to war and death.

If you took offence, I'm sorry.

How unfeeling a person are you to quote Boxing day??? How many thousands of people were doing just this on Boxing day 2004. Children I teach lost friends and family in the Tsunami disaster. No, it wasn't exciting for them.

And who would you like the huge comet to hit exactly? Everyone else except you and your family???

No, perhaps I shouldn't have apologised above.

21. May 26, 2005 #20
    Hmmm. You've taken all this way too seriously and if I hadn't taken offence before, I have now. If you want to slag me off further then at least goddamn PM me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?