Armature winding configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses testing an AC armature for potential issues, where the ohm readings are higher in two specific spots that are 180 degrees apart. The person is unsure if this indicates two opens or one. It is mentioned that the brush connections can affect the resistance readings and that there can be different types of armature winding. The conversation also mentions a Coil and Winding Testing Notebook and resistance testing, and someone with more familiarity with DC motors speculates that the armature is lap wound. It is suggested that the two sections with higher resistance may be intentional and there is a question about the number of brush rows.
John1397
TL;DR Summary
Are all armatures with brushes wound the same
I am testing an ac armature ohms all seem ok except for to spots 180 degrees apart on opposite side the ohms are higher than the rest when measuring from bar to bar. I do not know from the readings if I have two opens or just one. To me it seems I have no shorts just opens. I made diagram of readings.

Attachments

• 0216201103_Burst01.jpg
    0216201103_Burst01.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
If the brushes are still in contact with the commutator then the readings may be asymmetric because brush connected external circuits can lower the resistance.
The different brushes may rest on one, two or three bars of the commutator.
An armature can be wound as a Lap or a Wave.

The Coil and Winding Testing Notebook can be found here.
Resistance Testing is on page 18.

I am more familiar with dc motors. It appears that the armature is lap wound. I could imagine that you have a single open and you would be measuring the rest of the laps and arrive at the 31 Ω value. But you have two sections that are 180° apart and both measure 31 Ω. This appears to be intentional.

Are there two rows of brushes?

1. What is an armature winding configuration?

An armature winding configuration is the arrangement of conductors or coils in an electric motor or generator. It determines the direction of current flow and the strength and distribution of the magnetic field.

2. What are the different types of armature winding configurations?

The most common types of armature winding configurations are lap winding, wave winding, and concentric winding. In lap winding, the conductors overlap each other and form a parallel circuit. In wave winding, the conductors are connected in a series circuit. In concentric winding, the conductors are arranged in concentric layers.

3. How does the armature winding configuration affect the performance of an electric motor?

The armature winding configuration can affect the motor's torque, speed, and efficiency. For example, a lap winding configuration provides a higher starting torque, while a wave winding configuration allows for higher speeds. The choice of winding configuration also depends on the specific application and power requirements.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an armature winding configuration?

When choosing an armature winding configuration, factors such as the motor's power requirements, speed, and torque needs, as well as the available space and cost, should be considered. The winding configuration should also be compatible with the motor's design and intended use.

5. Can the armature winding configuration be changed after the motor is built?

In most cases, the armature winding configuration cannot be changed after the motor is built. It is a fundamental design aspect of the motor and changing it would require significant modifications to the motor's construction. It is important to carefully consider the desired winding configuration before building the motor.