What is the relationship between mass, space, and time?

• Thread starter BernSh
  • Start date
In summary, the relationship between mass, space, and time is described by the theory of relativity, which states that mass and energy are equivalent and that space and time are interconnected. This theory explains how objects with mass can affect the curvature of space and the flow of time, and how the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are considered as one entity. This relationship plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.
BernSh
Hi all,

The wife gets tired of hearing about the nature of the universe from me early in the mornings especially while making our morning green drinks so I thought I’d ponder out here ;)

After watching the terrific “the map of physics” and “the map of mathematics” videos last night it occurred to me this morning that time moves at different speeds due to distance traveled thru matter distorted space. The more mass the slower the time due to the greater distance. So mass distortes space by increasing distance increasing the time it takes to cross. Makes sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. This intro section is strictly for new member intros, no questions allowed, and this is a forum where the rules are actually observed, so you should post your question in one of the other forums. I suggest the cosmology section but before doing that I also suggest that you read the rules, especially the one about personal speculation. This is a great forum for learning / discussing mainstream science but is not for discussion of personal speculation so questions such as the one above need to be posed carefully, if at all, so as to not run afoul of the rules. As long as you are asking a question about mainstream science, you'll be ok.

Likes berkeman and anorlunda
Thanks for welcome, corrections, and directions! Sorry for the messy entrance tho it as everything is autobiographical and an intro of sorts ;)
I’ll poke around and see if this forum fits.
Thanks again phinds for taking the time and effort to reply :)

Likes berkeman