Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Armed forces ads: Sweden vs US

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1

EL

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've never seen that Army one on TV. There are many ads for the military, the current one I remember is "Be all that you can be". Most are aimed at new technology and learning. Unless you've seen all of the military ads, I don't get the point of this thread.

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    Ha ha, related.. A few months (maybe a year or so) ago, the CIA was even putting out ads. LOL, the feds are getting desperate!

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4
    Different strokes for different countries I guess. The US ads are about power, strength, patriotism (though all military ads are probably about patriotism!). Those Swedish ads seem to be trying to get people who like to be problem solvers or maybe get those people who think the military isn't for 'smart' people.

6. Jan 12, 2008 #5
  7. Jan 13, 2008 #6

russ_watters

So.....you're saying you haven't watched any TV in the past 8 years? :biggrin:

8. Jan 13, 2008 #7

russ_watters

I'd really like to know how their target audience reacts to basic training.

9. Jan 13, 2008 #8

russ_watters

10. Jan 13, 2008 #9
    I thought the sweed version was rather dumb and had nothing to do with the military. I want a strong bad ass military commercial with cool guns, tanks, airplanes, and mottos like 'courage, honor, etc'. Thats what the military is about. Not doing brain fart puzzles. Based on the commercials, I'd never join the sweed army. It comes off more like a police force, plus there dressed like bums who should design a website, not fight a war.

'Semper Fi Do or Die OO-RAH-Rah!'

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  11. Jan 13, 2008 #10
    Cyrus, that would be "Swede", sorry, but I have itches to correct things like that, especially if they make people in the U.S. seem stupider to the rest of the world. I'm sure it was just a slip of the fingers, but anyways. Prolly the reason the Swedish one didn't really show many combat related scenes is because the Swedes haven't needed to show military might for quite a while. (I believe not since WWII) Much like Norway.

12. Jan 13, 2008 #11
    Allright smart guy, swede.

13. Jan 13, 2008 #12

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hahaha

14. Jan 13, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're comparing ads for Swedish officers to American Army enlisted.

The US Air Force looks for a different type of person than the Army:

They even look for a few good scientists and engineers:

Of course, if you're Army or Marines, you probably think this commercial is more appropriate for the Air Force:

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't laugh. Actually, I did everything in that last commercial at least once - except pushing a broom across the runway. We just did a FOD walk looking for trash and debris on the runway ..... after an air show, of course.

Besides, if you're Air Force, you think this is an appropriate commercial for the Army:

15. Jan 13, 2008 #14
    Russian army promotional video.

This goes a little bit beyond of what I can understand :confused:

16. Jan 13, 2008 #15

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember that Sweden still has a system with compulsory(sort of) military service for all men between the age of 18 to 47.
    This is more or less unpaid (you get money for travel etc) and last between 9 and 18 months(I think) depending on what you do. Men generally do their military service when they are 19 (before university). Women can volunteer to do military service (and quite a few do).
    20 years ago military service was really compulsary but nowadays you basically have to be either very unlucky, volunteer or do particulary well on the tests to be accepted.

Anyway, the point is that you have do have done military service before you can even apply to become a full-time soldier in the swedish army which is why the video looks the way it does. All full time personel are officers.
    Also, nowadays the swedish military is almost exclusivly focused on UN peace keeping missions so in many ways it IS a police force.
    In the actual peace keeping missions most of the lower ranking soldiers are NOT full time employees of the army, They are civilians that did well in their military service and then have applied to become peace keepers for a year or so (i.e. they generally know which mission they are signing up for and where they will go) . They are on short terms contracts and they go back to their civilian careers after the tour. Quite a few of them have "useful" civilan careers: police officers, firemen, nurses etc.

17. Jan 13, 2008 #16

russ_watters

It is still a functional military, though, right? They still have guns and bombs and stuff? They'd kill people if they had to?

I went to the Naval Academy. During Plebe Summer (our basic training), one of my roommates dropped-out after two weeks because before he went he hadn't considered the possibility that he might someday have to kill someone (or worse, send someone else to their death). That's the point - that's why those ads are a bad idea. You either build a military full of people who are incapable of carrying out their duties or you get people who quit in the second week of basic training.

18. Jan 13, 2008 #17

russ_watters

That seems very odd to me. I would think it would create a bad morale situation to separate the officers and enlisted in that way.

19. Jan 13, 2008 #18
    The situation is similar in Finland. The reason why this is all carried out differently than in the US, is very simply that small countries like Sweden or Finland could not do it the same way as in the US. We would not have enough volunteers for anything, and right now we don't need much of defense forces for anything.

I spent 9 months in military after high school, doing some basic training, and then continued my studies in the university. Almost all men go through it, although the time can vary. Some are 6 months, some 12 months, and so on. Only small fraction of men are interested to stay in the military after the compulsory service, and those people become usually officers.

20. Jan 13, 2008 #19

EL

Science Advisor

As said above, Sweden has a compulsory military service, so everyone who can apply has already been through that. (Anyway, I think it's kind of obvious that doing military service includes hard training.)

Btw, the Swedish system is probably about to change quite soon in favour of a fully professional army. This is definitely in line with my opinion, since the need for a fast mobilization of a huge defense is hardly longer there anymore. Instead the resources should be spent on smaller but highly trained and motivated forces (peace-keeping, anti-terror, intelligence, etc).

But this is what I find interesting. If the Swedish army would show this kind of "strong bad ass military commercial" people here would simply just laugh their asses out. Only the most extreme "rambo wannabies" would get attracted, and those you probably don't want in the army anyway.

On the other hand, this patriotic "bad ass" Hollywood stuff works in US, while the Swedish movies probably would be seen as too wimpy. (Confirmed by your reaction.)

Sure that's not really fair. But I can gurantee a commercial for enlisted would never look like that in Sweden.

It wouldn't be much of an idea having an army otherwise.

Don't you think it's kind of obvious for most (sane) people that soldiers are supposed to be able to kill, without having to be told so through an ad?

21. Apr 17, 2008 #20

EL

Science Advisor

The Swedish army has now started a campain in order to recruit more women. Quite a remarkable ad I would say:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?