Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Army buys AK 47's From Chinese company

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    WASHINGTON - The U.S. Army has approved the purchase of more than $29 million worth of weapons for the new Iraqi army from a Chinese state-owned company that's under indictment in California in connection with the smuggling of 2,000 AK-47 automatic rifles into the United States in 1996.

The Iraqi soldier below displays his modified AK47 and unifrom purchased in China by the U.S. military. This is all payed for with your tax dollars.

Six months ago Americans soldiers seized thousands of AK's found in a weapons cache. The rifles were in perfect condition. They were burned. :frown:

We will need more tax breaks to pay for all of this. :yuck:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2005 #2

The good news is it isn't being paid for by tax dollars as the money being spent in Iraq is being financed by borrowings (mainly from China :rolleyes: ). Presumably because if taxes were hiked to pay for it now the anti-war sentiment would grow exponentially. The bad news is at some point this money will have to be paid back. :biggrin:
  4. Aug 7, 2005 #3
    I will never understand why you yanks do these kinds of things.
  5. Aug 7, 2005 #4
    The ultimate in global outsourcing

I read an article about this about a month ago. The U.S. Army bought the Iraqi soldiers Chinese jungle camo because it was cheaper than desert camo. Everyone is on a tight budget except for Halliburton.

The Army preferred the AK's because they are simpler to learn to fire accurately, and more dependable than M16's. Plus most Iraqi males over the age 12 already know how to handle an AK. To bad the Pentagon didn't realize this until after the big bonfire at Tikrit. Typical military SNAFU.

When the Marines get back to the USA they will be served their chow once again by Sodexho, a French food service company. Sodexho also provides food servce at many U.S. college campuses, thus providing hundreds of jobs in America for illegal aliens.
  6. Aug 7, 2005 #5
    One more thought about the camo uniforms. The Iraqi soldiers will stand out even at a distance.

We must presume that they are aware of this and so are the insurgents.

Will the Iraqi's want to go along on patrols alongside American soldiers who are dressed in the less visible desert camo?

BANG! we just shot ourselves in the foot trying to save a few bucks.
  7. Aug 7, 2005 #6
    Man I am hoping those jungle camo uniforms are for training only. Even then since new Iraqi recruits are already heavily targeted, this could be a major screw up.
  8. Aug 7, 2005 #7
    It's okay. They are planting a shrubbery.

Or ... A Shakespearian Joke ... The insurgents looked out side and thought 'Burnham Wood had come to Bhagdad.'
  9. Aug 8, 2005 #8
    Tight military budget? With the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world?
  10. Aug 8, 2005 #9
    Good 'ol Macbeth :biggrin:
  11. Aug 8, 2005 #10
    Well, they are paying Halliburton to rebuild them. :rolleyes:
  12. Aug 8, 2005 #11
    Yes and the U.S. taxpayers will pay for the dam shrubbery I would bet. Maybe they should save some water and use plastic shrubbery :grumpy:
  13. Aug 8, 2005 #12
    I predict our Government will solve this problem by engineering and implementing a MASSIVE Irrigation system for all of Iraq, that will effectively create a lush jungle environment, thusly proving the Jungle Camo extremely effective.

In other news your childs local school will have no paper...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?