Should religious beliefs determine military duties?

• News
  • Thread starter IcedEcliptic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Army Doctor
In summary: I think that's insubordination, not treason -- grounds for dishonorable discharge, at worst, rather than execution.As to why this merits publicity, I have no idea.He wouldn't be a traitor. He'd be convicted of failure to go, a lesser charge than AWOL, desertion, or treason.
turbo-1 said:
There is NO indication that the birth certificate on file with the Department of Health is not a witnessed certificate of live birth. None. That's the kind of unsubstantiated speculation upon which the birthers base their unsubstantiated claims. Normally, when somebody makes outlandish claims, the burden of proof falls on them, but birthers are not exactly rational creatures.

1. Well, there isn't preserved a witnessed birth record, is there?

2. Did birth certificates in the 60s differ in form, whether the birth record came from the hospital directly to make the basis for the certificate, or that the mother came to the office personally to request a birth certificate?

3. How long are hospitals required to store birth records, if at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
1. Well, there isn't preserved a witnessed birth record, is there?

2. Did birth certificates in the 60s differ in form, whether the birth record came from the hospital directly to make the basis for the certificate, or that the mother came to the office personally to request a birth certificate?

3. How long are hospitals required to store birth records, if at all?
1) You are making an unsubstantiated statement. The doctor who heads up the Department of Health and the director of the Bureau of Vital Statistics have both seen the original, and pronounced it genuine. The doctor happens to be a Republican. If she thought that there was some irregularity (not having been a witnessed live-birth certificate) she could have found a way to release relevant information without triggering the non-disclosure laws she operates under.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100219/NEWS01/2190362/Hawaii-gets-persistent-requests-for-Obama-birth-certificate
State Health Director Dr. Chiyome Fukino — a Republican — tried to put the issue of Obama's Honolulu birth to rest back in 2008 by declaring that she and Hawai'i's registrar of vital statistics had personally seen Obama's birth certificate.

"This has gotten ridiculous," Fukino told The Advertiser at the time. "There are plenty of other, important things to focus on, like the economy, taxes, energy. ... We need to get some work done."

2) You are asking the wrong person. All states have their rules for record-keeping.

3) Here, hospitals are not required to maintain birth records and provide public access to them. Such records go to the civil authorities. Like I said, I could not take possession of my own birth certificate. It is in the archives of the civil authorities, in a climate-controlled vault-room. Originals are never released, in order to maintain the integrity of the public record and (nowadays) prevent identity theft and fraud. My own access to my own birth certificate was limited to a notarized transcript typed on security paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
1) You are making an unsubstantiated statement. The doctor who heads up the Department of Health and the director of the Bureau of Vital Statistics have both seen the original, and pronounced it genuine.
No one is denying it's valid, but it did come out during the election that it was not signed by a doctor. It doesn't have to be if the mother herself applies for it.

When I asked for a copy of my birth certificate, I was sent a photo copy of the original. It depends on the city. That disappeared during my move ( all opf my filing cabinets "disappeared".

I just called a month ago to ask how to get a copy, and the lady had to go into the archives and she found the paper original. They aren't even scanned into a computer.

Of course, evidence that Obama was not born here would be a foreign birth certificate, or a customs record showing that his mother entered the country with a new child. That no one can produce either doesn't seem to bother the birthers at all! However, the head of the birthers movement provided a Kenyan birth certificate for Obama, that was conclusively shown to be a fake.

Clearly these people are all irrational. They are grasping straws based on nothing more than wishful thinking.

turbo-1 said:
1) You are making an unsubstantiated statement. The doctor who heads up the Department of Health and the director of the Bureau of Vital Statistics have both seen the original, and pronounced it genuine. The doctor happens to be a Republican. If she thought that there was some irregularity (not having been a witnessed live-birth certificate) she could have found a way to release relevant information without triggering the non-disclosure laws she operates under.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100219/NEWS01/2190362/Hawaii-gets-persistent-requests-for-Obama-birth-certificate .

The question has not been made whether the birth certificate is real or not.

It concerns the contention that
a) There was no witnessed birth record sent from the hospital to the registrar's office
b) As is ordinarily done with unwitnessed births/home-borns, the certificate was made after a personal visit of Mrs. Obama at the registrar's office.

b)-cases would spawn no less genuine, or valid, birth certificates, but by means of a slightly different method than the ordinary process.

That A) the birth certificate is fake, or non-existent necessarily implies a much larger conspiracy behind it, than B) the contention that Mrs. Obama lied at the registrar's office that her son had been born at the hospital.

The second contention does not necessitate more deception than from Papa&Mama Obama, and would rhus be a tiny, trivial conspiracy.

And again, it is no reason to believe in such a conspiracy either, even though it is a tiny one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Of course, evidence that Obama was not born here would be a foreign birth certificate, or a customs record showing that his mother entered the country with a new child.
WERE newly-borns regularly registered at the borders in the 60s?

If the mother was a US citizen (an officer's wife(?), no less!), wouldn't they just have been waved past the gates?

I don't know anything about the practices of border officials, but are they, in general, very diligent, or is there a lot of pointless paperwork they just don't ever find the time for doing?

arildno said:
WERE newly-borns regularly registered at the borders in the 60s?

If the mother was a US citizen (an officer's wife(?), no less!), wouldn't they just have been waved past the gates?

Only if the child was already a citizen. You can't enter the country without a passport or proof of residency.

Ivan Seeking said:
Only if the child was already a citizen. You can't enter the country without a passport or proof of residency.

Well, if birthers had been rational, they would have made inquiries of ACTUAL practices at the time, and see if those were markedly different/sloppier than the ideal rules we call "the body of law".

That there might be such gaps between theory/practices is in itself no irrational idea (it is frequently true), but it needs to be substantiated in the particular type of relevant cases, in order to gain argumentative weight.

Funny thing is, I have a whole chart from my birth. The pre-labor assessment of my mother, the date and time stamped entry of my birth and measurements of length and weight, the reflex assessments by doctor, and a nursing record of my feeding, sleeping, etc. All that from 1984 Russia :biggrin:

which does support the supposition that Obama was born in Kenya :rofl:

arildno said:
Well, if birthers had been rational, they would have made inquiries of ACTUAL practices at the time, and see if those were markedly different/sloppier than the ideal rules we call "the body of law".

I have no doubt that they have exhausted every rational and irrational avenue by now.

The REALLY silly thing is that were there anything to this, the Republicans in Congress would be the loudest voices of all. The power play of taking down the Dem nominee for President would have been one of the most impressive in US history. There were plenty of very powerful Republican US Senators that had the means to know if there was a legitimate issue. That alone is a dead giveaway that this is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Not to mention that the most powerful Democrats in Washington at the time, the Clintons, had every reason to take Obama down! He did defeat Hillary, after all.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I have no doubt that they have exhausted every rational and irrational avenue by now.

The REALLY silly thing is that were there anything to this, the Republicans in Congress would be the loudest voices of all. That alone is a dead giveaway that this is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

As I've said many times, I don't have any belief in the birther position.

My contention has just been that that position does not necessitate a belief in a Big Conspiracy.

Lazy border guards waving through US "white trash" with a n***er baby are hardly to regard as conspirators, but might well have existed in the early, rather racist 60s.

Out of curiosity, I dug through the strong-box in our safe. My original hospital-issued birth certificate was signed by our family doctor and the RN who was the nurse supervisor at the hospital. The negative photostatic copy of the civil record is signed only by a municipal official and the "MD" box is checked to note that the attending doctor signed the hospital record. My wife's birth certificate was issued at the much larger hospital where she was born, and it was not signed by a birth witness, but by the hospital administrator. Her negative photostatic copy of the civil record does not indicate that a witness signed the hospital's certificate, which is entirely accurate.

One reason why original civil records might be closely-guarded is their fragility. I have thought about how these negative photostats might have been produced, and the most logical situation is that the originals were made on very thin translucent paper like onionskin, and duplication was done by overlaying the original on a piece of photo-paper in a glass photo-frame, flashing the combo with intense light and developing the contact print just like normal photography. Certainly, there were no photocopiers 58 years ago.

arildno said:
Lazy border guards waving through US "white trash" with a n***er baby are hardly to regard as conspirators, but might well have existed in the early, rather racist 60s.

I don't even see that as reasonable. Even long before 911, us customs was serious business; even for a citizen reentering the country. In fact, when Tsu and I went to Europe, we noted that the most severe customs review was in our own country! Travel in Europe was nothing by comparison.

I understand that you aren't pushing the birthers agenda.

turbo-1 said:
Out of curiosity, I dug through the strong-box in our safe. My original hospital-issued birth recordwas signed by our family doctor and the RN who was the nurse supervisor at the hospital. The negative photostatic copy of the civil certificate is signed only by a municipal official and the "MD" box is checked to note that the attending doctor signed the hospital record. My wife's birth record was issued at the much larger hospital where she was born, and it was not signed by a birth witness, but by the hospital administrator. Her negative photostatic copy of the civil certificate does not indicate that a witness signed the hospital's certificate, which is entirely accurate.

Changed to how have I used the terms, in accordance with Evo's description.

Very relevant, indeed, Turbo-1, that the civil birth certificate DOES note whether the birth was witnessed by medical personell or not.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't even see that as reasonable. Even long before 911, us customs was serious business; even for a citizen reentering the country. In fact, when Tsu and I went to Europe, we noted that the most severe customs review was in our own country! Travel in Europe was nothing by comparison.

Well, you know a lot more about that than me! (never been in the US, actually)

As I've said, IF the birthers were rational, they would need to make a probable scenario for how that baby entered the country.

It could, for example be, that army officers (wasn't Obama's Dad that?) had specially privileged positions, compared to civilians, being waved through the ordinary customs as a routine, in contrast to the civilian population.

Or, that if entry was gained at the military airports/bases, the rules were laxer there than at analogous civilian points of entry.

But again, such "possible scenarios" would have to be substantiated, in order to gain weight.

Something else that is rather funny. When this first came up I did a fairly intensive review of the laws regarding citizenship for newborns. It was only a short period of time, just two or three years, IIRC, that citizenship was denied a baby having one parent that is a US citizen. It just happened to include the year 1961. So, even if the claim that he was born in Kenya, had been true, one would reasonably expect that the exclusion could be waived based on precedent. It has almost always been true that one US citizen as a parent is sufficient for the baby to automatically be granted citizenship.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Something else that is rather funny. When this first came up I did a fairly intensive review of the laws regarding citizenship for newborns. It was only a short period of time, just two or three years, IIRC, that citizenship was denied a baby having one parent that is a US citizen. It just happened to include the year 1961. So, even if the claim had been true that he was born in Kenya, one would reasonably expect that the exclusion could be waived based on precedent. It has almost always been true that one US citizen as a parent is sufficient for the baby to automatically be granted citizenship.

I didn't know that!

Fascinating..

arildno said:
Changed to how have I used the terms, in accordance with Evo's description.

Very relevant, indeed, Turbo-1, that the civil birth certificate DOES note whether the birth was witnessed by medical personell or not.
Relevant to people who were born in Maine in the early 1950's. There may be no relevance to Obama's situation, since such distinctions may or may not have been made in Hawaii. Also, the hospital in Honolulu was MUCH larger than any here in rural Maine, and the birth certificates may have been routinely signed and certified by administrative staff at the hospital, much like my wife's was.

There was a report from an older lady in Hawaii a couple of years back, who remembered Obama's birth, though it made little sense at the time. The attending Obstetrician was a close friend of her father's, and he was at supper with them that evening when her father casually asked if anything of interest happened that day. The doctor said something to the effect that "Stanley gave birth today. That's something to write home about." Stanley was Obama's mother's given name. I'd say that account is a pretty good indication that there was a doctor present at his birth.

Found it, though I had the details a bit fuzzy. The woman was a college student at the time, having dinner with the obstetrician and the father of her college friend, and she asked the doctor if anything interesting had happened recently. He told her that a woman named Stanley had given birth. She actually did write home about it to her father, Stanley back in New York. She ended up bumping into the Obama name again. Obama's father was the first black student at the U of H, and ten years later when she was teaching at Punahou School, where Obama was enrolled and Obama's father (now a Kenyan official) was coming to speak.

turbo-1 said:
There was a report from an older lady in Hawaii a couple of years back, who remembered Obama's birth, though it made little sense at the time. The attending Obstetrician was a close friend of her father's, and he was at supper with them that evening when her father casually asked if anything of interest happened that day. The doctor said something to the effect that "Stanley gave birth today. That's something to write home about." Stanley was Obama's mother's given name. I'd say that account is a pretty good indication that there was a doctor present at his birth.
To me that sounds completely bogus. Why would a routine birth be something of importance to bring up? And why on Earth would she remember something so trivial that had nothing to do with her about someone she didn't know? Bogus.

arildno said:
I didn't know that!

Fascinating..

Do you know what I find stunning? You, who have never been to the US, have asked within 3 or 4 pages every relevant question in regards to the Birther issue. You have discussed them civily, and accepted reality when it was presented, and remained skeptical without being dismissive. So, what can be accomplished by a person without massive notions in their mind before the discussion, in 3 pages online, cannot be done by an army colonel with a medical doctorate. I know, you are not xenophobic and you do not believe this, so maybe that is the key, but it makes me wonder how much of "Birther" is honest, or just rabble rousing.

Evo said:
To me that sounds completely bogus. Why would a routine birth be something of importance to bring up? And why on Earth would she remember something so trivial that had nothing to do with her about someone she didn't know? Bogus.

Mixed race child, father from Kenya, and a white mother, in Hawaii in the 60's? I don't claim this is instantly memorable, but there cannot have been many such births in this person's personal experience.

IcedEcliptic said:
Mixed race child, father from Kenya, and a white mother, in Hawaii in the 60's? I don't claim this is instantly memorable, but there cannot have been many such births in this person's personal experience.
The key was the name Stanley - her father's name. Combined with the mixed-race angle, that would have stuck in her mind. I don't know any women named Stanley.

Evo said:

Methinks the old lady could have self-censored the ensuing dinner chat about cross-racial love affairs..

SUCH a conversation would very well be remembered by her, although she'd never admit today to have partaken in it. :smile:

arildno said:
Methinks the old lady could have self-censored the ensuing dinner chat about cross-racial love affairs..

SUCH a conversation would very well be remembered by her, although she'd never admit today to have partaken in it. :smile:
In 1961, such a conversation would almost certainly ensued. Anywhere in the deep south and many places in the northern states, such a marriage would have been quite problematic, and perhaps fatal.

IcedEcliptic said:
Do you know what I find stunning? You, who have never been to the US, have asked within 3 or 4 pages every relevant question in regards to the Birther issue. You have discussed them civily, and accepted reality when it was presented, and remained skeptical without being dismissive. So, what can be accomplished by a person without massive notions in their mind before the discussion, in 3 pages online, cannot be done by an army colonel with a medical doctorate. I know, you are not xenophobic and you do not believe this, so maybe that is the key, but it makes me wonder how much of "Birther" is honest, or just rabble rousing.

Well, as IvanSeeking and yourself has indicated, if we look at the motivation for taking the position of a birther, it might very well be due to "wishful thinking" and "grasping at straws".

IcedEcliptic said:

turbo-1 said:
The key was the name Stanley - her father's name. Combined with the mixed-race angle, that would have stuck in her mind. I don't know any women named Stanley.
I don't think mixed races in Hawaii would be that unsual, many dark skinned polynesians mixed with whites. Did they discuss that they were shocked by a mixed race child? I just don't see this actually coming up as anything out of the ordinary and that it would be something she would remember. False memories are much more likely. Did she remember the name of the doctor that was her father's good friend? It should be easy to check if he was working at that hospital and if he was in delivery at the time of Obama's birth. Why aren't there billing records for the delivery, that was also something that came up. Did the hospital lose those records too?

Point is, he has a valid birth certificate.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I don't think mixed races in Hawaii would be that unsual, many dark skinned polynesians mixed with whites. Did they discuss that they were shocked by a mixed race child?

White males with black females is one thing, white FEMALES with black males..quite a different thing in those days.

Even a racist like Strom Thurmond had a black mistress, if I'm not mistaken..

turbo-1 said:
Oops! Forgot to link to the Snopes article citing the teacher at Obama's school who remembered the obstetrician talking about a woman (Stanley Obama) giving birth. Here it is is (near bottom of the page).

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp
Two things, she didn't go by her first name, and second, she had been in Kenya for a long time up until his birth, so would have had no ongoing relationship with the obstetrician in Hawaii. I could see him saying "some white woman had a black baby". It's all anecdotal and makes a good story. Not very believable though. Certainly doesn't validate anything. And it doesn't need to. But it does allow people to blow holes in the story and give the birthers more to add to their conspiracy theory.

Evo said:
I don't think mixed races in Hawaii would be that unsual, many dark skinned polynesians mixed with whites. Did they discuss that they were shocked by a mixed race child? I just don't see this actually coming up as anything out of the ordinary and that it would be something she would remember. False memories are much more likely. Did she remember the name of the doctor that was her father's good friend? It should be easy to check if he was working at that hospital and if he was in delivery at the time of Obama's birth. Why aren't there billing records for the delivery, that was also something that came up. Did the hospital lose those records too?

Point is, he has a valid birth certificate.

Mixed race is one thing, as arildno says, a black, no, an AFRICAN man with a white woman would have stood out I think. False memories are still more likely however, or just someone trying to "do good" as they see it.

Evo said:
Two things, she didn't go by her first name, and second, she had been in Kenya for a long time up until his birth, so would have had no ongoing relationship with the obstetrician in Hawaii. I could see him saying "some white woman had a black baby".

1. The obstetrician would (probably) know her full name from the patient records, whether or not he knew her personally. He certainly knew his own friend's first name from before.

2. The quadruple oddness of a masculine first name, coinciding with his friend's name, the un-American surname, and the black baby out of the white womb would easily churn in the back of the brain to find a good story outlet.

3. That in a presumably all-white Canoe Club he chose to break his doctor's confidentiality standard and muse about the "musicality" of the name Barack Hussein Obama and more, doesn't sound very improbable, although the story can't be regarded as anywhere near verified.
To classify it as dismissable bogus, though, I beg to differ..

IcedEcliptic said:
Mixed race is one thing, as arildno says, a black, no, an AFRICAN man with a white woman would have stood out I think. False memories are still more likely however, or just someone trying to "do good" as they see it.
Why would they know what country he was from as opposed to just being black? The more detail, the more unbelievable, if you know what I mean. She wasn't the President's mother, she was a nobody. She was some white woman that gave birth to a black baby.

Evo said:
Two things, she didn't go by her first name, and second, she had been in Kenya for a long time up until his birth, so would have had no ongoing relationship with the obstetrician in Hawaii. I could see him saying "some white woman had a black baby". It's all anecdotal and makes a good story. Not very believable though. Certainly doesn't validate anything. And it doesn't need to. But it does allow people to blow holes in the story and give the birthers more to add to their conspiracy theory.
All too easy to dismiss, but if you have to sign papers to give birth, she would have given her full legal name Stanley Ann Obama. She was named after her father because he wanted a boy, not a girl. If you notice the birth announcements from Honolulu's papers, they give a street address in a residential area, not a hotel or other temporary housing, indicating that the Obamas had lived there for a bit.

Also Dr. West was chief of staff at Kapiolani Hospital and was still practicing obstetrics up into the mid-'60's at least, so that part of Ms. Nelson's story checks out fine.

Evo said:
Why would they know what country he was from as opposed to just being black? The more detail, the more unbelievable, if you know what I mean. She wasn't the President's mother, she was a nobody. She was some white woman that gave birth to a black baby.

He's black, and he would have had a strong accent. Again, we both agree on the facts of this issue, but on this point, I can see it standing out. I should see if statistics of white women with black men in Hawaii say for that time.

Back