Around the corner problem?

• Thread starter maxpayne_lhp
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is about finding the maximum length for a bar to fit through a corner created by two hallways with known widths. A suggestion is to draw a diagram and find the longest line in the resulting rectangle formed by the intersection of the two hallways.
maxpayne_lhp
"Around the corner" problem?

Hey, I got this assignment from my class... it asks for the maximum length for a bar in order to get it through a corner created by 2 hallways... I am provided with the width of the 2 hallways and that's it. Can someone gimme a suggestion?
Thanks

Nam

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram of the two hallways, where x and y are the widths of the two hallways.
| |
| |________________________
|-------y--------|
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

I'd think the maximum bar would be the longest line you can draw in the rectangle formed by the intersection of the hallways; ie the diagonal.

PS sorry about the diagram; it looked fine when I was writing it. Move a vertical line over to the right(to the end of the y line) and it really does look like two hallways

Last edited:

1. What is the "Around the Corner Problem"?

The "Around the Corner Problem" is a common scenario in which an object or event is not directly observable, but can be inferred or anticipated based on available information.

2. How does the "Around the Corner Problem" impact scientific research?

The "Around the Corner Problem" can pose challenges for scientists when trying to make predictions or draw conclusions based on limited or indirect data. It requires careful consideration and analysis to accurately understand and account for potential unseen factors.

3. Can you provide an example of the "Around the Corner Problem" in action?

One example of the "Around the Corner Problem" is in climate change research. Scientists use data and models to make predictions about future global temperatures, but there are many factors that could impact these predictions, such as unforeseen changes in human behavior or natural disasters.

4. How do scientists address the "Around the Corner Problem" in their research?

Scientists address the "Around the Corner Problem" by being transparent about their methods and assumptions, conducting thorough analyses, and constantly reassessing and adjusting their findings as new information becomes available.

5. Is there a way to completely eliminate the effects of the "Around the Corner Problem" in scientific research?

No, the "Around the Corner Problem" is a natural part of the scientific process and cannot be completely eliminated. However, scientists can minimize its impact by using multiple methods and data sources, being aware of potential biases, and acknowledging and addressing uncertainties in their findings.