1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arraging atoms/ions based on atomic radius

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    Arranging atoms/ions based on atomic radius

Hey, I'm in a bit of a bind here. I got a question that deals with atomic radius. The question asks to arrange the following atoms/ions in order from smallest to biggest:

[tex]Cl, S^{2-}, K, K^{+}, O[/tex]

I know just by looking at the periodic table that O has the smallest radius and that K has the largest radius... I also know that since [tex]S^{2-}[/tex] is larger than S and since S is larger than Cl that means [tex]S^{2-}[/tex] is also larger than Cl.

[tex]K^{+}[/tex] is smaller than K and larger than Cl since it has a greater energy level.

Here's my problem... I know that both [tex]K^{+}[/tex] and [tex]S^{2-}[/tex] fall somewhere between the Cl and K atoms.... and by looking up the actual radius of the [tex]K^{+}[/tex] and [tex]S^{2-}[/tex] ions I know that the [tex]S^{2-}[/tex] radius is larger than the [tex]K^{+}[/tex] radius but how do i prove this?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2
    surely both K+ and S2- have the same number of electrons but different number of protons, since K+ has 3 more protons the overall attraction for electrons are stronger so smaller ionic radius?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?