How Can You Calculate the Arrangements of Red and White Roses in a Circle?

• Thread starter Cheman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the number of orders that can be created with 3 red roses and 3 white roses arranged in a circle is 10. This is calculated by taking the total number of arrangements (n-1)!, but then dividing by the number of arrangements that are identical due to repeats (3! for the same colored roses and 2! for the remaining 2 roses). This can be further illustrated by understanding that to count the number of orders, you must have a fixed point, and that not all ring permutations will produce the same number of linear permutations. Therefore, there is no easy formula for calculating the number of orders in this type of problem.
Cheman
How many orders can we have of 3 red roses and 3 white roses arranged in a circle? Apparently the answer is 10 - but how do yiou work it out? I know that in a circle of "n" different objects the number of different arrangements is (n-1)!, but what about the repeats?

If anyone could explain a proven method I would be most greatful.

Thanks in advance.. :rofl:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well let me explain the logic behind the (n-1)! In order to count how many orders can be created, you have to fix one of the roses, and calculate how many orders can be created using the (n-1) roses. The answer is (n-1)! of course. To understand the problem's solution, the following would help (WR is a White Rose, and RR is a Red Rose),

WR / RR-WR-RR-RR-WR. This is just one of the orders that can be created. It doesn't matter which rose you fix. At first glance you can say that 5!=120 orders can be created. But there is a slight thing that you miss. All of the same colored roses are identical, which makes you count some orders twice, or more times. In order to avoid this you divide (n-1)! by 3!(the number of orders created using the roses of the same color) and 2!(the number of orders created using the remaining 2 roses - mind that we fixed a rose.). So in short 5!/3!2!= 10.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Can

I am puzzled by the way the problem is proposed - specifically, arranged in a circle. If two arrangements are considered the same if you can rotate one to match the other, I can visualize only 4 different possibilities.

rrrwww
rrwrww
rrwwrw
rwrwrw

?

wisredz, I do not see why you would have to fix one.
The number of different orders if they were align in a row would be:
[tex]\frac{n_{total}!}{n_{red}!*n_{white}!}[/tex]

But if they are arranged in a circle the number of orders would be:
[tex]\frac{n_{total}!}{n_{red}!*n_{white}!*(n_{total}-1)}[/tex]

6!/(3!*3!*5) = 4

well, In order to count how many orders you can create, you have to have a fixed point. That is why we have the formula (n-1)!. But you are right :) In what I did, I count some positions more than once.
Anyway, I still have problem understanding why you divide by 5 to find how many orders can be created around a circle. Could you please explain it?

From each circular arrangement of 6 roses you can make 6 different linear arrangements because you can choose each of the six roses as a start for the linear arrangement.
ehh...
and then I thought, but I want 1 of those 6 so there are 5 that I do not want so I divide by 5... but I now see that this reasoning is wrong, even though it accidentally gave the right answer

Yes the reasoning is wrong, but the funny point is that it always gives the right answer :)

wisredz said:
Yes the reasoning is wrong, but the funny point is that it always gives the right answer :)

n_total = 2
n_red = 1
n_white = 1

n_total!/(n_red!*n_white!*(n_total-1))
= 2

Shouldnt that be 1?

-- AI

Yup, I didn't try for 2. 4 gives the right answer. Any good idea how to do it?

As far as i recall(Something i read back some time back (probably it was Hall & Knight)), there is no closed form solution for objects which are arranged in circular fashion and the objects are repeated. However, if there is atleast one object in that set which isn't repeated then we can **fix** that object, and take permutations of the remaining.

-- AI

To illustrate the difficulty with this problem, I worked out explicitly what happens for two sets of two and two sets of three.

For two sets of two, the linear permutations are:
rrww, rwwr, wwrr, wrrw (group 1)
rwrw, wrwr (group 2)
When considering a ring, the group 1's collapse together and the group 2's collapse together. Note that there is no obvious way to get from 6 linear to 2 ring permutations.

For two sets of three the ring permutations are:
rrrwww (1)
rrwwrw (2)
rrwrww (3)
rwrwrw (4)
To get the linear permutations, (1),(2),(3) can start at any of the six positions to get a different result. However (4) has only one other alternative - start with w. This gives the total of 20 possible linear permutations.

Conclusion - no easy formula!

mathman said:
Note that there is no obvious way to get from 6 linear to 2 ring permutations.
Can u please explain that?

-- AI

As you can see from the examples, some ring permutations can generate different linear perturbations from any place on the ring, while others (like the last one in each example above) do not have this property.

mathman said:
As you can see from the examples, some ring permutations can generate different linear perturbations from any place on the ring, while others (like the last one in each example above) do not have this property.
Ohhhhhh! NOW i get it!
You meant to say each of the ring permutations need not produce the same number of linear permutations! D'oh should've noticed that! Thanks for explaining.

-- AI

1. What are arrangements in circles?

Arrangements in circles refer to the placement or positioning of objects or elements in a circular or curved pattern. This can be seen in various natural and man-made phenomena, such as the arrangement of planets in the solar system or the layout of a ferris wheel.

2. How are arrangements in circles used in science?

In science, arrangements in circles are often used to study and understand patterns and relationships between objects or elements. This can provide insights into the structure and function of systems, as well as aid in making predictions or solving problems.

3. What are some examples of arrangements in circles in nature?

Some examples of arrangements in circles in nature include the arrangement of petals on a flower, the spiral structure of a seashell, and the circular formation of a bird's nest. These patterns are often seen in biological systems and can serve various purposes such as protection, reproduction, or energy efficiency.

4. How can arrangements in circles be used in design and art?

Arrangements in circles can be used in design and art to create visually appealing and harmonious compositions. The circular form is often associated with balance, unity, and harmony, making it a popular choice in various art forms such as painting, sculpture, and architecture.

5. Are there any mathematical principles behind arrangements in circles?

Yes, there are mathematical principles that govern arrangements in circles, such as the concept of symmetry and the use of geometric shapes and proportions. These principles are often used in fields such as geometry, calculus, and physics to study and analyze circular patterns and formations.