How can I arrange peptides with S-S bonds in order?

• Thread starter TytoAlba95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the importance of reduction/alkylation at cysteine residues is to remove inter/intra-chain disulphide bonds and block reactive -SH groups. In COFRADIC, these modifications occur before HPLC, but in this case, HPLC is performed before the disulfide bridges are cleaved and protected. The possible sequence from the original problem is (c), as the peptide fragments linked by S-S bond were eluted together.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
A 30 residue peptide was treated with trypsin and the tryptic peptides we're separated by HPLC. Four peakes were obtained. Peptides corresponding to A, B, C and D we're reduced and alkylated selectively at Cys residues.
The sequences obtained are :
Relevant Equations
Please refer to the image below:

I can't solve this at all. Please suggest some clues.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand the importance of the reduction/alkylation at cysteine residues? Note that this step happened after the HPLC separation.

Likes pinball1970
TeethWhitener said:
Do you understand the importance of the reduction/alkylation at cysteine residues? Note that this step happened after the HPLC separation.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have read COFRADIC and in normal COFRADIC these modifications occur before the HPLC, isn't it?
The aim of reduction is to remove inter/ intra-chain disulphide bonds (here intra-chain) and the purpose of alkylation is to block the reactive -SH groups to prevent further s-s bonding.

SanjuktaGhosh said:
Thanks for pointing that out. I have read COFRADIC and in normal COFRADIC these modifications occur before the HPLC, isn't it?
The aim of reduction is to remove inter/ intra-chain disulphide bonds (here intra-chain) and the purpose of alkylation is to block the reactive -SH groups to prevent further s-s bonding.
COFRADIC isn’t relevant to this problem (unless the question says otherwise), but yes, there are protocols where the S-S bonds are reduced and protected first.

Focusing on the problem, you know that the HPLC is performed before the disulfide bridges are cleaved and protected, so given that info, which of the four sequences (with disulfide linkages) from your original problem are possible?

TeethWhitener said:
Focusing on the problem, you know that the HPLC is performed before the disulfide bridges are cleaved and protected, so given that info, which of the four sequences (with disulfide linkages) from your original problem are possible?

I can only guess, (d)? I did some research but couldn't find any info on intra-chain S-S bonding pattern.

However the answer provided is (c).

SanjuktaGhosh said:
I can only guess, (d)? I did some research but couldn't find any info on intra-chain S-S bonding pattern.

However the answer provided is (c).
Don’t guess. It might help to break the listed sequences into the fragments from HPLC and see where the cysteine linkages are.

I'm sorry, I can't come to any conclusion. I'm stuck. :oldconfused: To me (b) looks too complicated to exist, and the rest three seem feasible.

Did you try what I said? You need to put in some effort before I can give you more help.

TeethWhitener said:
Did you try what I said? You need to put in some effort before I can give you more help.
I couldn't understand initially but on a second attempt I understood! The peptide fragments that were linked by S-S bond were eluted together. The answer is c.

Likes TeethWhitener

What is the purpose of arranging peptides in order?

Arranging peptides in order allows for the identification and characterization of specific sequences of amino acids, which can provide insight into the structure and function of proteins. It can also aid in the design of new drugs or therapies targeting specific peptides.

What techniques are commonly used to arrange peptides in order?

Some commonly used techniques include mass spectrometry, chromatography, and NMR spectroscopy. These techniques can help to separate and identify individual peptides and their sequences.

What challenges are faced when arranging peptides in order?

One challenge is the complexity and diversity of peptide sequences, which can make it difficult to accurately identify and arrange them. Additionally, some peptides may have similar sequences, making it challenging to distinguish between them.

What are the benefits of arranging peptides in a specific order?

Arranging peptides in a specific order can provide valuable information about the structure and function of proteins. It can also aid in the development of new drugs or therapies targeting specific peptides, potentially leading to more effective treatments for various diseases.

How is the order of peptides determined?

The order of peptides is determined through various techniques, such as mass spectrometry, chromatography, and NMR spectroscopy. These techniques can help to identify and sequence individual peptides, allowing for their arrangement in a specific order.