Array of underwater transducers for sound massage

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating an underwater sound massage system using an array of sound transducers. The speaker is seeking advice on the appropriate transducers and specifications, mentioning the company Benthowave as a potential option. The conversation also touches on the potential impact of such technology on marine life.
lost_in_space
hello,

since a while my mind is caught by an idea. This idea is concerned with underwater sound massage system.

For this purpose i would like to build an array of underwater sound transducers, which can all be steered individually (to do a coarse beam forming).

However, since i am not an engineer it is difficult for me to evaluate which transducers are appropriate for the application i have in mind and would be very greatful if someone here could comment on my guesses:

I need a broadband transducer that is capable to produce sound waves in a very broad range (200 Hz - 30khz) and with sound intensity around 60 db. It may be also possible to use different transducers for low and high frequencies. However, in order to do beamforming at a frequency of 30kHz the distance of the transducers must be around 5 cm. thus the transducer sizes must be quite small. (the most appropriate transducers i found were from the company benthowave, can anyone comment on this)

I would be very greatful if anyone could comment on the spezifications i have in mind.

best regards,

lost_in_space

Engineering news on Phys.org
High frequencies tend to dissipate, both in the water and in the body. Therefore, high frequency massage is a bit of an oxymoron. So instead of 200-30K Hz, I would suggest 0.2-3 Hz.

Those frequencies are best though of as pistons displacing water, not as sonic transducers.

lost_in_space said:
hello,

since a while my mind is caught by an idea. This idea is concerned with underwater sound massage system.

For this purpose i would like to build an array of underwater sound transducers, which can all be steered individually (to do a coarse beam forming).However, since i am not an engineer it is difficult for me to evaluate which transducers are appropriate for the application i have in mind and would be very greatful if someone here could comment on my guesses:

I need a broadband transducer that is capable to produce sound waves in a very broad range (200 Hz - 30khz) and with sound intensity around 60 db. It may be also possible to use different transducers for low and high frequencies. However, in order to do beamforming at a frequency of 30kHz the distance of the transducers must be around 5 cm. thus the transducer sizes must be quite small. (the most appropriate transducers i found were from the company benthowave, can anyone comment on this)

I would be very greatful if anyone could comment on the spezifications i have in mind.

best regards,

lost_in_space
Hi there. Did you ever get anywhere with you underwater acoustic sound array?

Of course, these arrays are used for sonar for military and also for fishfinders etc.
Poor creatures like whales have to endure our activities.

tech99 said:
Of course, these arrays are used for sonar for military and also for fishfinders etc.
Poor creatures like whales have to endure our activities.
I know they exist, I guess I was just wondering if lost_in_space ever got his project off the ground. As for the animals, I agree with you. It must be worse than Times Square down there as for noise.

1. What is an array of underwater transducers for sound massage?

An array of underwater transducers for sound massage is a collection of multiple transducers, which are devices that convert electrical signals into sound waves, that are placed underwater. This array is used to create a sound massage, where sound waves are transmitted through the water to provide therapeutic benefits for the body.

2. How does an array of underwater transducers work for sound massage?

The array of underwater transducers works by converting electrical signals into sound waves, which are then transmitted through the water. These sound waves create vibrations that travel through the body, providing a massage-like sensation. The different frequencies and intensities of the sound waves can be adjusted to target specific areas of the body.

3. What are the benefits of using an array of underwater transducers for sound massage?

There are several benefits of using an array of underwater transducers for sound massage. These include relaxation of muscles, improved blood circulation, relief from pain and tension, and enhanced mental well-being. Sound massage using the array of transducers can also help with stress management and sleep improvement.

4. Is an array of underwater transducers safe for everyone?

Generally, an array of underwater transducers is safe for most people. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using it, especially for those with certain medical conditions such as heart problems or epilepsy. Additionally, pregnant women and children should avoid using the array of transducers unless approved by a doctor.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using an array of underwater transducers for sound massage?

Yes, there are a few precautions to take when using an array of underwater transducers for sound massage. First, always make sure the transducers are submerged in water before turning them on to avoid damage. It is also important to start with low frequencies and gradually increase intensity to avoid discomfort. Lastly, do not use the array of transducers for more than 15-20 minutes at a time to prevent overstimulation of the body.