Arrested Developement

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date

Pengwuino

Gold Member
ShawnD said:
Very true. I have cheap cable, about 70 channels, maybe 10 of which are worth watching. Discovery used to be one of those channels, but they've turned into the 24/7 Mythbusters network.
:surprised :surprised :surprised You mean you don't worship and idolize the Mythbusters. Blasphemy!

ShawnD said:
I'm amazed that network people in charge of scheduling don't figure out that people don't want repetition. Remember when Regis had a show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? That show was awesome. It was on once a week, and I watched it every time it was on. Then they changed it to everyday, and I stopped watching. Apparently other people stopped as well since it didn't last very long after they did that.
For me, I stopped watching when Regis came on and it was the same time that they started putting it on every night on a different channel for us. Regis ruled, this new woman sucks. Thus, all women suck.

ShawnD

Science Advisor
Moonbear said:
Futurama was okay. I never liked Family Guy. Never heard of Lonegunmen. X-files had a few good seasons, but I think the writers ran out of new ideas and it got really lame. Simpsons was okay too, but it gets boring after a while too.
I like Two and a Half Men...or did...haven't watched it in a while. I've never understood the popularity of Scrubs, it's awful! I don't watch a lot of TV either, but mainly that's because there's nothing on worth watching.
We have very different opinions. I hate Futurama because the jokes seem to be bland and based on the fact that it's the future; forget character or situation. That one girl goes to buy a car and it's called the Beta Romeo. Oh I get it, it's funny because the real car is called Alpha Romeo and beta comes after alpha in the alphabet. When Fry listened to rock music, Lila refers to it as classical music, because of Fry is from the past which makes it classical.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ShawnD said:
We have very different opinions. I hate Futurama because the jokes seem to be bland and based on the fact that it's the future; forget character or situation. That one girl goes to buy a car and it's called the Beta Romeo. Oh I get it, it's funny because the real car is called Alpha Romeo and beta comes after alpha in the alphabet. When Fry listened to rock music, Lila refers to it as classical music, because of Fry is from the past which makes it classical.
Yeah, I laugh at dumb jokes, which is why I liked it...some. I don't miss it though. It wasn't something I cared if I missed, or went out of my way to watch, but would watch it if I bumped into it while the TV was on. I totally understand if someone doesn't like it because of the dumb jokes...it's just my quirky sense of humor.

The thing that I don't like is that I watch maybe 6 channels and the rest are crap.... I watch 2 or 3 about twice or thrice a month, and the rest once every few months, yet to watch just those you have to pay for hundreds of useless channels.....

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Okay, I admit it.

I. Have. No. Cable.

No satellite either, just a DVD and VCR, and already I have no time for anything else.

Arrested Development is (seriously) the only show I watch, and I have to sneak into my neighbor's basement to see it (well, they let me have the key).

THere might be other things worth watching, but I don't want to know because Ir eally don't have the time.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
V.... C.... R?

Does it have vacuum tubes?

:tongue2: :tongue2:

I still can't believe FOX is cancelling this show. It won an emmy!!
Correction: it won six Emmys (in two seasons). Anyway, AD is one of the greatest shows in the history of television, and is definitely up there with Seinfeld as the greatest comedy. And yes, though its days on Fox are numbered, rumor has it that both Showtime and ABC are vying for the show.

For all of you who don't watch it, let me explain why AD is so great. At a very shallow level, the show is extremely funny. The comedic timing is great, the ensemble cast is perfect, and the jokes are hilarious. However, the show also has an incredible amount of depth to it, forcing several viewings of an episode to get it all. Allusions and foreshadowing happen all over the place, in the volume usually associated with a Shakespearean play. The main way is through the extensive use of callbacks. Jokes, aspects of the Bluths' lives, and many little details are often recycled in some way, but almost always with a twist to them. Some of these go back just a few episodes, some call back all the way to the first couple episodes. They range from the subtle (such as the fact that family's maid often wears unseasonal sweaters, or that one character reuses the same banner for multiple occasions, altering it only as much is necessary), to the not-so-subtle (such as the fact that one character thinks that Portugal is in South America, or the fact that another character never gets the context of the word "blue" correct, confusing the depressed meaning with the color), to the overt (such as the fact that all of the Bluths seem to have their own impression of what a chicken sounds like, and none of them sounds remotely like a chicken, or the fact that one character unknowingly makes homosexual double entendres on a regular basis).

Unfortunately, these callbacks force the viewer to see the show from the beginning to fully appreciate everything, making it harder for people who might want to start watching it at a later date. I suspect that this is part of the reason for its low ratings (combined with Fox's marketing strategy for the show: show a promo for it ten minutes before it airs).

Last edited:

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Manchot said:
For all of you who don't watch it, let me explain why AD is so great. At a very shallow level, the show is extremely funny. The comedic timing is great, the ensemble cast is perfect, and the jokes are hilarious. However, the show also has an incredible amount of depth to it, forcing several viewings of an episode to get it all. Allusions and foreshadowing happen all over the place, in the volume usually associated with a Shakespearean play. The main way is through the extensive use of callbacks. Jokes, aspects of the Bluths' lives, and many little details are often recycled in some way, but almost always with a twist to them. Some of these go back just a few episodes, some call back all the way to the first couple episodes. They range from the subtle (such as the fact that family's maid often wears unseasonal sweaters, or that one character reuses the same banner for multiple occasions, altering it only as much is necessary), to the not-so-subtle (such as the fact that one character thinks that Portugal is in Mexico, or the fact that another character never gets the context of the word "blue" correct, confusing the depressed meaning with the color), to the overt (such as the fact that all of the Bluths seem to have their own impression of what a chicken sounds like, and none of them sounds remotely like a chicken, or the fact that one character unknowingly makes homosexual double entendres on a regular basis).

Unfortunately, these callbacks force the viewer to see the show from the beginning to fully appreciate everything, making it harder for people who might want to start watching it at a later date. I suspect that this is part of the reason for its low ratings (combined with Fox's marketing strategy for the show: show a promo for it ten minutes before it airs).
Very Well Put.